Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: light weight cheap sewing machine

light weight cheap sewing machine

I would like a sewing machine to take to classes that works good and is not real expensive, not a second hand one. Does anyone having any suggestions? Thank you

I have been looking but the lightweight ones are so cheap and noisy.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I had a Brother CS6000i and that was a pretty good little machine. I paid about $150 on Amazon for it. I "outgrew" it and gave it to my niece and nephew; they abuse the heck out of it and it still works! It's too small to really quilt on it (though I did quilt a Twin size on it) but for piecing it'd be just fine. Came with an extension table and a quarter-inch foot. Very light weight. I don't remember specifically how loud or quiet it was so probably about average noisiness would be my guess.

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome gem and it is light and not noisy it sews nice also

Husqvarna Viking HQ100. I have one and love it. I use mine for all piecing and use my Viking ruby for quilting. I also gave an on to my granddaughter. About $400.00

I have a basic Brother I got at Wal-Mart and it is quiet and I like it better than a mini Kenmore I have. I think I paid about $90 for it.
    "I would change the world for you but I wouldn't change you for the world!"

Autism Speaks

thanks for the information

Janome Jem!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Check Overstock.com, they have some machine for less than a $100.00.

I bought my heavy duty Janome there for $ 60.00.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

The Kenmore Sew Minis are lightweight and so very cute. They are made by Janome. Sew a great stitch.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  947.6 KB

I like the Pfaff Passport.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

this is a good question - can you go to a store that has floor models and try them out ? maybe ask a class teacher that is exposed to a lot of students sewing machines ?

I have a Featherweight, and you can't beat it for quietness and good straight sewing. Perfect for taking to class. It is not really a light weight, but lighter than any other machine of that age. It's made of metal, so lasts . . . forever? And it's soooo cute.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marigold View Post
    I would like a sewing machine to take to classes that works good and is not real expensive, not a second hand one. Does anyone having any suggestions? Thank you
    My great 11 year old has a Brother JX2517 and it is pretty quiet and sew good I have used it myself. She got it from Walmarts for less than 80.00
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

I am partial to the Walmart version of the Brothers. I have three I use, one at home, and one at each of my son's house. All very basic and none have ever failed me over the years.
    Alyce

Power Poster
    An inexpensive machine may or may not be a "cheap" machine.

I would save my pennies and buy a Janome Gem Platinum. I am so impressed with that little machine..
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

I've had the Brother cs6000i for three years and love it. I sew on it several days a week as it's close to the computer where I can watch videos while sewing--piecing, really. At the last quilt retreat I sat by a person with the small blue Kenmore and I'd say both machines were about the same noise level. The Brother has a lot more features than either the Kenmore or the Janome Gem.
    The thing I don't like about the Kenmore or Gem is they have very few stitch sizes and I couldn't find one I liked for piecing. The small stitch was impossible to pick out and the next size too large.
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 03-12-2015 at 08:31 AM.

I would get a brother, they are good little machines and mine is not too heavy.

Brother machines are reputed to be user friendly. I have an es2000 and love it. Not so good for quilting a large quilt but then I am a hand quilter on big quilts and machine quilt charity lap size quilts on machine.

Oh! Look at that. I bought one of these for my daughter several years ago, and then took it over for myself. First machine I made quilts on. Small but fine for piecing. I'ts now in a box in the closet resting :-)

I have a Janome 3160 that I loved for classes....it has the auto thread cutter...I really need that for classes, since you are always piecing in classes, more than quilting. Then I purchased the 4120...really nice too. Both of these machines are lightweight...11-12 lbs. I have a 6600 at the cabin and 8900 at home....very heavy machines! Janome sewing machines are great, but Babylock has the best sergers.....off topic... I hope you find a great machine for your price range. Call you dealers, sometimes they discount show machines with warranties in tact.

Power Poster
    I bought a little Kenmore that sales for about 150.00. It is a little workhorse....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I have been looking but the lightweight ones are so cheap and noisy.
    I have the second least expensive one Walmart carries. It is a Brother machine, that has travelled under a Greyhound, in a U-haul, on top of a car, and in a carrier through two airports, flown twice, and still works as well as when I bought it 11 years ago, and yes it was kind of noisy, but setting it on two used mouse pads from Goodwill fixed the problem. Most of the noise you hear is vibration, so putting on a spngy pad makes it much quieter. I can also carry it myself in its plastic hardcase that I bought separately. i spent $125. I hope this is helpful.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nvb50 View Post
    Husqvarna Viking HQ100. I have one and love it. I use mine for all piecing and use my Viking ruby for quilting. I also gave an on to my granddaughter. About $400.00
    I have the same the only problem is they don't do a blanket stitch for applique you have to use the zigzag. Otherwise a great little machine which does everything you ask. I take it to all classes and also use it at home . I find piecing etc is as good as my bernina and janome upper end machines.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast