Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine questions >

sewing machine questions

sewing machine questions

Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 AM

Take a look on ebay. I got a great deal on my Janome 6600 and love it.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 AM

I think I was reading something else with this entry--sounds like you'd like the quilting action to allow you to move the NEEDLE, not the fabric. With a domestic machine (regular one like you have) if it will allow you to use a darning foot/free motion hopping foot, then you move the fabric as it sews and that is what most of the posters are talking about. Now, if you want to move the machine needle while the fabric stays still--then you are talking about a long arm frame/machine set-up. I suggest you find out if your current machine is able to work with a darning/free motion hopping foot and do some experimenting with it--check out Leah Day's website for ideas. As you become more proficient/involved you may decide to move up to a Janome, etc(by the way, Elna is made by Janome!) with a bigger harp(more space to move that quilt top) programmable needle up/down (my favorite feature), etc. These machines can run into the thousands, btw. At that point , you may want to think about where you are going with your quilting and go to a major show and visit vendors and try out some type of long arm--the sit-down ones seem to be gaining popularity due to price and the sitting option--but keep in mind that they still require you to move the fabric.
So glad to hear you love quilting--I got bitten by the bug 4 years ago and totally addicted. I would add that I learned to free motion quilt on my $90 Brother bought at Walmart and finally moved up to a nicer machine and a year ago bought a used Gammill--which I love!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 AM

LOL, I was going to go there, but you beat me too it. I love my hand quilted quilts. You can feel the love!! No special machines necessary! I do hoopless hand quilting, don't even need a hoop, just a lap! There are many videos on hand quilting. Give a look, you might like it!!

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
I love hand quilting and machine quilting. I was absolutely terrible when I started hand quilting. I really struggled with getting the knot through the fabric too! What I do now (which works most of the time) is to hold the quilt behind the knot as I pull in the other direction. I am currently doing big stitch quilting using perle cotton thread, which is thicker than normal thread, so the knot is bigger too. I haven't had any problems so far! I also sometimes get a problem with the knot at the end, so when I try to pull it through, the thread breaks off at the knot. Very annoying because you have to undo enough of your stitches to be able to try again. My advice for that is to make the knot slightly smaller than the knot you used to start off (eg. I usually make a quilters knot with 3 wraps around the needle to start off, and will just use 2 wraps for the finishing knot) and this usually works pretty well!
I got a lot better at handquilting after I found "thimblelady". I bought her book and thimbles and worked through it on the practice square that she sent with the book. Went from massive, wobbly stitches, to nice even ones in a couple of hours. My stitches still aren't perfect, but I'm happy with them! Her thimble is the first one I've actually been able to use as it has lovely deep holes to hold the needle! You have to order it from Australia, but in my opinion it was totally worth it!
Sorry, haven't got much advice on machines but thought I might be able to help a bit with the hand quilting!
Good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Marie4403 View Post
Take a look on ebay. I got a great deal on my Janome 6600 and love it.
Ditto that Marie4403!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 PM

I'm not sure what you mean about moving the needle "sideways". I quilt on an old Singer Genie. All I needed was to get the right size needle to match my machine quilting thread, a feed dog cover (since my machine doesn't let me lower the feed dogs), a walking foot (for straight line quilting) & a darning foot (for all other quilting -- "Free Motion Quilting").

As far as I know, the needles just move up & down unless maybe it's an embroidery machine. You are moving the fabric right or left to get the needle to hit in the proper place. I also would recommend buying a pair of Machinger's gloves if you are going to be Free Motion Quilting (FMQ'ing) because they really, truly do make it so much easier to move the fabric where you want it. After that, it's just a matter of practice. All those items shouldn't cost you more than about $25-30 & that way you can be sure you really love quilting before investing in a new machine.

Good luck & happy quilting!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM

I'm thinking about the moving needle that OP meant on the newer machines you can move the needle left or right a few threads.