Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine thoughts? >

sewing machine thoughts?

sewing machine thoughts?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM

I have the Horizon 7700 and truly love, love it.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Thank you all, for responding and giving your experiences and thoughts. Unfortunately, the sewing machine place is not open on Sundays, and I have to work Mon-Wed, but I plan on going Thursday and spending the day trying out machines. I appreciate all the feedback and information you have provided will be very valuable!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Oh, i am a vintage girl. I have got to stop reading this thread!!! Automatic thread cutters -- oh my!!

;0))

Lara
Old 01-13-2014, 06:28 AM

I bought the Janome 8900 last August. It is a wonderful machine. It has so many beautiful stitches, and some really handy stitches for quilters. It has stitches that will lock stitch at the beginning and end of a seam. It has the special foot that makes sewing over several layers easy. It also has the 11" harp space that makes it easy to quilt. It costs a little more than the 7700, but not a lot at my store. I have been very happy with my new machine.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Quiltngolfer - yay, another machine for me to consider. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM

If you buy a Janome, I would really consider the 8900, it actually replaces the 7700 and has some real improvements (I have the 7700 and am considering an upgrade). The other machine I think looks great is the Babylock Crescendo- even more features and in the same price range. A friend who works at a large machine store says the Babylocks are the ones he sees the least for repairs, and the store carries every major brand. Have fun shopping!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 PM

I have two Janomes, the 6600 and the Jem, and I love them both. I believe the harp on the 6600 is 9". Others have told you of the features of the 6600, but what I love best is that they rarely, rarely "eat" your fabric. Maybe all new machines are "not hungry" in this regard, but the old Kenmore I used to sew on drove me crazy. You can start your stitching right at the edge of the fabric with no problem whatsoever, and they breeze over many layers while piecing. My 6600 is a dream, and I can only imagine that the more expensive Janomes are wonderful too.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 AM

Try the Pfaff Performance 5.0 - fantastic machine!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 AM

I have a mixture of these machines mentioned. I find that the most important thing when buying a machine is not the make or model but how good and close the repair man is.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:49 AM

Ditto, ditto and ditto!! Have it 3 years and love it,
Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
I have had the Janome Horizon 7700 for 3 months, I had done a lot of research and had asked questions here and on other quilt forums before purchasing. I have been very happy, it is an excellent machine and it was within the budget I had set. There is a website, Pattern Review .com that reviews just about any machine you are looking for, the reviewers are sewers/quilters like us, who use the machines. You will find a lot of information there about the machines you are considering. As for me, the Horizon was purchased primarily for Free Motion Quilting and it handled that like a dream. It is quiet, well lit, easy to learn to use, has a large variety of decorative stitches which turn out beautifully, and has the power to sew through many layers of fabric without a hitch. It comes with every foot you need, and nice storage compartments. I find the feet easy to change, and the machine is easy to clean. It is solid and heavy so no shaking or moving at higher speeds. It has a knee lift for the presser foot, needle up/down, automatic thread cutter which is so nice - saves thread, a lock stitch feature, and has a speed control. I could keep going, but this is already long so will sign off. Happy shopping!!