Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine vacumn cleaner attachments?? >

Sewing machine vacumn cleaner attachments??

Sewing machine vacumn cleaner attachments??

Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Default Sewing machine vacumn cleaner attachments??

I have been seeing an attachment to the vacumn cleaner that allows you to clean your sewing machine--has anyone used this and does it work? I'm particularly interested in using it on the long arm machine--several people have suggested an air compressor to blow out lint, etc but vacumn it seems to be a more "permanent" solution. Pretty cheap, but just wonder if they work.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

No idea...I use a piece of an old pair of stockings secured with a rubber band over the narrowest attachment...stops any stray bits going into the machine.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

Those small attachments work. I misplaced my set when we moved, and I'm still looking for it! Meanwhile, I have been using painter's tape to tape a straw to the end of my full-sized crevice tool. When you use a small opening like this (either a straw or the mini attachments), you want to put your vacuum cleaner on the lightest suction (if you have the option of adjusting suction).

I do not think it is ever a good idea to blow air into a machine's innards, although some people use canned air very judiciously -- aiming the air above so it blows out the bobbin cover opening.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 PM

I bought a little kit at Harbor Freight, I think it was about $8, it has several different attachments that hook up to my vacuum cleaner, they can suck the lint out of the tiniest nooks and crannies.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

Canned air works well on a longarm. Because of the different design, the lint doesn't go into the machine's innards. I thought about using vacuum attachments on my DSM, but frankly it would be so much trouble to get the vacuum out, lug it upstairs, and hook it up that I knew I would never use it. Instead (and for about the same price) I got a car vacuum that can be plugged in, and I keep it right next to the sewing machine, easy to get to and therefore ready to be used.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 PM
sap

I have had the attachments you are talking about for years. My grands like to play with them; I feel about the attachments as I do my sewing scissors.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I have the attachment set (bought from 'Clotilde's ' ) and love them! they work well, makes a good cleaning oh so much easier- I use them on all 5 of my sewing machines (including the long arm) and my computer, tower & keyboard- any 'gadget' that has small areas that need a good cleaning/dusting. I have noticed 'Nancy's Notions' has a small vacuum in their catalog I have been considering- then I wouldn't have to haul my big vacuum in to use- but the attachments have 'connectors' that fit the hose of my big vacuum just fine & they work well.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 AM

i have that attachment for my vacuum and i love it. i can set my vacuum on med and
a way i go. i like that better than air so nothing goes into my machine.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 AM

Trick is to buy the cheapest vac you can find...new or at resale shop....and keep it in your work area...then a snap to use the conversion kit........
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 AM

I bought one but it didn't fit my vacuum. At our December Guild Party we played a gift exchange and another had brought one in that didn't fit her vacuum.