Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing machines >
  • Sewing machines

• Sewing machines

Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 AM

Just think about it a little and your heart will tell you what to do. I have a Baby Lock Soprano and enjoy it very much. It is all personal preference, of course.
    Old 10-03-2016, 05:04 AM
    dms

My sister and I are both Viking girls. At the quilt expo we took a class that supplied Babylocks. Neither of us would trade our Vikings for the BL. It was a quilter's machine. I don't remember the exact model, but the stitch quality was just not there. Every time we sewed over seams, it veered off.
    Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 AM

I want to get rid of my 8900 for the same reason. I'm tired of the theatrics! Problem is I have lots of $$$ into it, but only a low trade in or selling price.
    Old 10-03-2016, 07:34 AM

I am sorry you have issues with the 8900, and I am glad to hear I am not the only one. Like you, I have too much invested, as I just work with it, when it runs, it is very good. Seems like I have best results with purple needles. Anyone out there having issues with the janome 8900
    Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 AM

You get little for selling the machine, check e bay or craigs lists and there are hundreds. I would keep the machine, if you find you really don't use it then offer it to a family member that has interest in sewing. I tried to sell my friends machine and got offers of $60 to $100 for a machine worth over a $1000. She decided to keep it. Also beware of scammers that send "certified" checks that are worthless.
    Old 10-03-2016, 08:11 AM

I have both a Viking (D1) and a Babylock (Ellegante). I like them both. My Viking has most all the feet and though she's 16 years old I use her mainly for piecing. Have you thought about checking to see if there is another Viking model that can use all the same feet and add'l stuff? That's what I thought about if ever I had to replace my Viking. My Babylock though its a combo machine also I use it mainly for embroidery. I picked up an inexpensive Brother machine that just happens to use the same bobbins and feet as my Babylock. Use her mainly for attaching the large borders and binding on the quilt as I have her sitting at one end of my cutting table. Keeps the weight from hanging over the side for me.
    Old 10-03-2016, 08:40 AM
    mac

IMHO you should keep a spare. I agree with tessagrin, the urge to sew is greatest when you have no machine.
    Old 10-03-2016, 08:55 AM

When I bought a BL about 5 yrs ago I kept my " old" Viking 1+ and all of its "feet"! So glad I did....in my case, Viking is a much better functioning machine....no hiccups, sews everything I give it....use it more than the "diva"... Thinking of replacing with another Viking.
    Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Geez, I've got about 37 "spares" at this point...something about the elegance of the older (mostly pre-plastic) machines that keeps me craving more! That said, I also have a Bernina 750 QE and a lightweight computerized Janome (for classes). Most of the time all I need is a straight stitch anyway!