Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing Station, how to? >

Pressing Station, how to?

Pressing Station, how to?

Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 AM

Default Pressing Station, how to?

Hello, decided to make a larger pressing board to go over my ironing board for when I press my large lengths of fabrics and backings. My question is this, how many layers of cotton (I assume) batting do you put under the top cover (I'm using the silver stuff, whatever its called)? I assume you use only 100% cotton batting so I'll use some of the microwave Warn & Natural I have on hand. I have that silver fabric you use for ironing board as I picked it up years ago and never did anything with it. I'll pick up a 2 x 4 x 5/8" plywood board the next time I'm out and about. Just didn't know how many layers of batting to use so its not too swishy. What do the rest of you do?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I like a firm pressing surface do just one layer of batt and a purchased ironing board cover fabric with a bit of padding on it. I put it over my plywood surface that is cut to go over my sewing desk drawer.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:07 AM

I agree, I also prefer a firm pressing surface. I used 2 layers of batting and my cover is cotton duck, which IMHO, is much better than that slippery silver stuff.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree, I also prefer a firm pressing surface. I used 2 layers of batting and my cover is cotton duck, which IMHO, is much better than that slippery silver stuff.
I agree. I like the cotton ironing board cover. I have 2 pads under it, but they are pretty old and packed down well so they make a solid foundation to press on.

When I want to press larger pieces of fabric, I clear off one of tables and put an old wool blanket I got from an estate sale over it and press there.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I used just one layer of Warm and Natural -- the regular type with scrim. I might have been smart enough to place the scrim side down but I'm not sure. Covered that layer with inexpensive duck cloth from Walmart. Has worked fine for me for several years now. Biggest problem I have is that the duck cloth is now stained, plus it collects cat hair like a magnet. The top is still functional, but it looks terrible. Haven't decided whether to replace the duck cloth or just staple another layer over the old one. One nice thing about duck cloth is that you can mist it with water after you staple it on and it will tighten up. If I were ambitious, I would make a removeable cover for my board so I could wash it. Maybe some day......
Old 09-30-2016, 02:41 PM

Prism99: I have a board I made using duck on the outside cover. When it got too bad looking, I took a brush and Dawn and scrubbed a little, rinsed, took a bleach and water solution and applied to the duck and set outside in the sun. After an hour or two, checked it. It took all day and a couple rinses and applications, but it was white again.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Biggest problem I have is that the duck cloth is now stained, plus it collects cat hair like a magnet. The top is still functional, but it looks terrible. Haven't decided whether to replace the duck cloth or just staple another layer over the old one.
That's pretty much what I did - just stapled another layer on top. Fortunately I don't have to worry about pet hair.

The nice thing about duck and how "sticky" it is - it works as well as a Steady Betty for keeping your block stationary while you press it.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:33 AM

Lots of good info here!
Old 10-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Lots a good tips here. I like the idea of the wool as I have an old army blankey upstairs that I know I'll never use. Might make use of it here instead of the silver stuff. I guess I could always put the silver stuff under the wool blanket too.

Thanks gang for the help.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I got the silver stuff and it already was quilted with the batting. Hubby had the wood cut. Stapled it together. $8.