Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sewing squares

i sudenly remembered why i dont like sewing squares, i cant always match up seams now matter how i sew edges

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julie777
    i sudenly remembered why i dont like sewing squares, i cant always match up seams now matter how i sew edges
    I have that same problem.

When I sew 4-patch square sets together, I always match the 2 pieces together from the center...that way the intersection of the 4 squares always looks good.

Blog Entries
    great tip

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    When I sew 4-patch square sets together, I always match the 2 pieces together from the center...that way the intersection of the 4 squares always looks good.

i am sewing 9 2/12 inch squares together its so fun

Blog Entries
    I like patterns that there is no matching. Some days I just can't get those pesky seams to line up!

A couple tips. First, make sure you press according to the directions b/c that helps the seams butt up against each other and line up the seams. Second, use big squares which are more forgiving. Last, if it is a little off, put your quilt on the floor, walk away for a while, come back and casually look at it. You probably won't even see the mistakes...

Blog Entries
    That is a great idea!! I will have to remember that when I am working on my next 4 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    That is a great idea!! I will have to remember that when I am working on my next 4 patch.
    ...and make sure your seams are going in opposite directions...like someone else mentioned. It helps the seams to butt up to each other so they come out perfect!

I do the same thing I always press everything so I have "locking" seams. once you start doing it, it kinda just comes natural and you don't even have to think about which way to press so your seams will all butt up to each other. I don't use alot of pins when I am quilting however when it comes to matching seams I always stick a pin in right at the intersection. A dot of glue and a tap from the iron is great for holding these seams together also. This way you know your seams are not going to budge while your sewing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast