Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shirts from thrift store......

Shirts from thrift store......

After reading B. Hunter's book Scraps &Shirttails, I decided to "try" cutting into shirts.... Found 5 at local Goodwill on 50 percent off deal, washed and cut into one...My question is....do you save all those buttons...how about the collar and cuffs that have the stiffening on it. I will finish "repurposing" these shirts but am not sure I will do this again. Any thoughts on this?

Blog Entries
    I don't save anything other then plain flat fabric from shirts and usually just cut the back and front and open the sleeves for fabric. And I don't buy used shirts unless they are 2xx or larger. If I get desperate for fabric I may save every inch but I'm not into having a green needle.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I don't save/use any fabric from the collar or cuffs unless it is a very unusual print. As for the buttons, I do save them most of the time. And I also try to get the biggest size of shirt to get the most fabric.
    Sherri

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    What a great idea, never thought of it. Guess I have to hit the thrift store today.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

What a great idea to gather fabrics for a scrappy quilt....I will have to make a run to our local thrift store.....do you think you could get a fat quarters worth of fabric from a shirt?

Blog Entries
    I just went to my goodwill this morning. Ours must just be higher priced than everybody else's. $4 for a shirt. $4.50 for a belt and $1.50 for men's ties. They don't do bag days very often either. I just want this stuff for crafting; I can't imagine if I needed to purchase there for everyday wearing. But back to your question if I use a shirt I always save the buttons. I have a button addiction even if they are the plain white ones! New buttons can be pricey!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I save the buttons myself. A couple of my favorites I saved the cuffs in case I ever get around to using the tute to make wallets out of them. Also I know there are a number of people on the board that collect buttons.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    I just finished a rag/denim quilt using plaid shirts... some of DH's, and some from local thrift shops... I chose for fabric (was looking for pretty plaids) and ended up with a couple of children's sizes and managed to get enough for 2 blocks, plus a few good scrap pieces. I, too, save buttons.... just love buttons and will try to do something with them sometime. I found several shirts on the sale rack and they were $.50 each. A few others I paid $3... all-in-all, I think I spent about $35 for shirts and have a LOT of fabric left over for another quilt I'm working on next week at a retreat. Once I get the quilt laundered, I'll try to post a pic... I'm a new fan of the thrift store!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    The Salvation Army store is much cheaper then Goodwill. Goodwill here is overpriced on the clothing. We have a Savers store and when there is a 50% or bag sale, the shirts are a good buy. I won't pay over $1.50 for big size 100% cotton shirt. I find some very interesting prints in the men's shirts.
    Got fabric?

I have found some great colors and prints in the all cotten shirts. I've got a box full just waiting to be cut up. Never paid more than $1.00 for them because one of our thrift stores has $1.00 days at least once a month. Yea lucky I know.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast