Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shirts from thrift store......

You can use the cuffs to make coffee cup sleeves. I collect buttons to make necklaces and to embellish ornaments.

A great tutorial for cutting and making the seven shirt quilt can be found here:
    Click here: Life is a Stitch: Seven Shirts + Seven Steps = One Thrifty Quilt

Enjoy!!
    GeeGee

I save everything apart from the bits with interfacing on. I even cut the button bands apart, save buttons etc. There is a lot of fabric in a mans shirt
    ​Jan

Blog Entries
    Hey Lauriejo where is the tut for making wallats out of them?

I also bought some at the thrift store = get them on senior day for half price. I only buy XXL or bigger and cut them up. I save all the buttons (I don't know what for) I have a huge jar of them.

Going to the thrift store this morning thanks for all the great tips about the shirts! Thus us what I brought home the last time I went!! Lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Sorry "this is" what I brought home. Lol have to admit to hubby I bought another machine when it's in a cabinet. Love him he's a trooper!!
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

I have seen on the internet an idea to use the collar on a mans shirt. Use it on a dog collar. Makes a cute dog collar.

I just made a couple of lap quilts out of my late dad's shirts and used all of the fabric. He was a "cowboy" shirt man. The ones with the pearl-ized snaps on the cuffs, plackets and pockets. I cut the plackets off careful to leave enough fabric to have a seam allowance and used it as a border. It took four or five shirts worth, but turned out very nice. I used the pockets on some of the blocks and put pictures of him with my children in them. These were really appreciated by my boys. I have caught them, ages 13 & 15, cuddled up on the sofa, wrapped in the blankets looking at the pictures. I think it was a great way for them to find their time and way to grieve their grandpa.

I'd save the pockets - I've seen some cute quilts with the pocket on a block or two. The buttons come in handy if you want a more 'country' feel....putting the buttons in each corner, and using embroidery thread to tie the button on (with the 'tail' on top of the button) is cute. I'd still quilt it first, though. It would be a great way to go for a 'memory' quilt or a quilt for a guy.

Salvation Army Thrift Store here has buy 1 get 2 free on certain colors. They also have additional 10% senior discount on Wednesdays. I buy lots of men's plaid shirts and anything denim that will work....jeans, ladies dresses, skirts, etc. I use them to make denim quilts that I call "truck" quilts. The guys seem to really like them. I make them like you would make a rag quilt, but instead of "ragging" them, I sew that part down flat so it makes a "sashing" like border around each block. No batting necessary, they are heavy. Great for lots of outdoor (and indoor) uses.

Name:  Resized denmin 3.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  1.17 MBName:  Resized 4.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  1.40 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

First time posting pic...sorry it didn't seem to turn out right.

southernmema could you please take a closeup picture of your jeans quilt, I'd love to see how you did it, I've been saving and cutting jeans like crazy but yours is my favorite jeans quilt so far. I just love it. I see you have a little cutie helping you hold it down. Did you cut off the underneath corners?
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 03-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southernmema View Post
    Salvation Army Thrift Store here has buy 1 get 2 free on certain colors. They also have additional 10% senior discount on Wednesdays. I buy lots of men's plaid shirts and anything denim that will work....jeans, ladies dresses, skirts, etc. I use them to make denim quilts that I call "truck" quilts. The guys seem to really like them. I make them like you would make a rag quilt, but instead of "ragging" them, I sew that part down flat so it makes a "sashing" like border around each block. No batting necessary, they are heavy. Great for lots of outdoor (and indoor) uses.

Name:  Resized denmin 3.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  1.17 MBName:  Resized 4.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  1.40 MB
    I love your quilts and your chubby buddy!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
    [B]I save the buttons as well, you can use them if you tie a quilt, just sew them on like a button would be, around boarders, decoration going across the top of the quilt, or put in a particular shape (heart, diamond, circle). pockets add a different spin on things as well. Easy to attach buttons using the ziz-zaz stitch on your machine or hand sew.
    Diamondee, GREAT idea! I have used my machine to sew on buttons all over the quilt to take the place of quilting. It gives a nice look. Your machine manual should have a sewing on button description but you can do it even if the manual doesn't give you directions. PROVIDED: your machine can zigzag, can drop feed dogs, and has a needle position that can be moved left or right.
    Here's how you do it for the uninitiated.
    Drop feed dogs
    *Put on your machine's recommended button application foot if available. An open toed foot should work.
    *Set foot down on top the button placed where you want it attached to your quilt.
    *Line up the left hole with the needle and set the needle position there. Do this manually for you blonds!
    *Take 3 or 4 stitches in place to secure
    ***Place a pin across the button middle so that the zigzag will cross over it so there's a bit of a thread shank created when stitching. This will keep the button from being sewn down too tightly. (optional)
    *Set the zigzag so that the machine zigzag jumps left right, left right into the button eyes by hand then you can use the foot pedal to stitch it on.
    *Return the needle position to the left and take 3 or 4 stitches to secure.

Repeat until quilted and buttons supply has been reduced!
    This goes pretty quick once you have the "system" worked out and your settings figured out.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Now that is great thinking, Lisa! Love the block.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
    Diamondee, GREAT idea! I have used my machine to sew on buttons all over the quilt to take the place of quilting. It gives a nice look. Your machine manual should have a sewing on button description but you can do it even if the manual doesn't give you directions. PROVIDED: your machine can zigzag, can drop feed dogs, and has a needle position that can be moved left or right.
    Here's how you do it for the uninitiated.
    Drop feed dogs
    *Put on your machine's recommended button application foot if available. An open toed foot should work.
    *Set foot down on top the button placed where you want it attached to your quilt.
    *Line up the left hole with the needle and set the needle position there. Do this manually for you blonds!
    *Take 3 or 4 stitches in place to secure
    ***Place a pin across the button middle so that the zigzag will cross over it so there's a bit of a thread shank created when stitching. This will keep the button from being sewn down too tightly. (optional)
    *Set the zigzag so that the machine zigzag jumps left right, left right into the button eyes by hand then you can use the foot pedal to stitch it on.
    *Return the needle position to the left and take 3 or 4 stitches to secure.

Repeat until quilted and buttons supply has been reduced!
    This goes pretty quick once you have the "system" worked out and your settings figured out.
    I just set my zigzag for the widest and the stitch length at 0 and zig 20 times or so. Then pull the front two threads thru to tie to back threads, then clip.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

This is amazing! I can't wait to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by GeeGee View Post
    You can use the cuffs to make coffee cup sleeves. I collect buttons to make necklaces and to embellish ornaments.

A great tutorial for cutting and making the seven shirt quilt can be found here:
    Click here: Life is a Stitch: Seven Shirts + Seven Steps = One Thrifty Quilt

Enjoy!!

I saw the coolest pattern on the web (sorry I didn't save it but go surfing when you have time).

The pattern used the collar and part of the front of the shirt to make a square (or retangle if you desire) and appliqued old ties between the collar points. You could even appliqe the cuffs on the side of the shirt to look like it was folded.

Nice idea for a remembrance quilt for someon who's male family/friend has passed on.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

thp
    Yes, you can get a fat quarter's worth of fabric from a shirt. Also, long sleeved shirts have a lot more fabric than short sleeved shirts.

SouthernMema.....I LOVE your denim quilts! I really am not a fan of the rag quilts, so I had discounted the denim. Now you know we will be wanting a tutorial....right?

thp... I don't know what size shirt you are cutting up but I get a lot more than a fat quarter from a shirt.

I have been doing the 'buy used shirts for material' for some time. I love shirting material and never see any like those used in the construction of men's shirts. I am a senior and so I shop oof Senior Tuesday. Have two tubs of shirt fabric and am going to begin using it in the near future. Yes, I do save the buttons.

Hahah...my boss wears solid colored cotton shirts in such great colors....I have told him that if he ever is going to get rid of any, I'll take 'em!

I have yet to buy shirts to make into quilts (although I KNOW I will at some point) - there is a Goodwill outlet near my house where they sell clothes by the pound and I eye those bins sometimes and ponder the possibilities. Usually I am looking just for interesting "stuff" though - I got a decent 15x17 light table there, in perfect condition, for $4! I love thrift stores!

I always save buttons! I'll even buy a shirt just because I like the buttons. The shirts can be a little bit of work, but some of the fabrics are so cute that it is worth it I think.

I went to Bonnies site and found her tutorial on how to take a shirt apart and what to use and not use. So just in case you don't have her site address here it is:

http://quiltville.com/index.html

I had to scroll down quite a ways before I found the tutorial. But it helped me take a shirt apart pretty fast. Man she is good. Good luck and have fun!
    Quilting Mad in Mansfield, Ohio
    Patty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast