Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shirts from thrift store......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    What a great idea to gather fabrics for a scrappy quilt....I will have to make a run to our local thrift store.....do you think you could get a fat quarters worth of fabric from a shirt?
    Definitely, and more. I use the inside back and use the portion with the manufacturer's label. Some of those are beautiful and add interest to the finished product.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Here is another thing I do with thrift store shirts. Sold several at a craft show last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    After reading B. Hunter's book Scraps &Shirttails, I decided to "try" cutting into shirts.... Found 5 at local Goodwill on 50 percent off deal, washed and cut into one...My question is....do you save all those buttons...how about the collar and cuffs that have the stiffening on it. I will finish "repurposing" these shirts but am not sure I will do this again. Any thoughts on this?
    I would save all the buttons...They are expensive to buy and make good embelishments..

using used shirts

Go to Bonnie Hunter's site and there should be a place you can watch her video about deboning a shirt. She saves it all. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    Here is another thing I do with thrift store shirts. Sold several at a craft show last year.
    ohhhhh how dang cute are those.... what a great idea... if I may ask.. how much did you sell them for?
    Don't do to others what you do NOT want done to yourself

Blog Entries
    Oh, I forgot my favorite thing to do with men's dress shirts. I make these in all colors and go wild with the trim fabrics. The only thing you need to watch on the size is to make sure it will go around your tummy. I have made many of these, and everyone loves them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go for the largest shirts first!! Now if you find one that is "just the right color" go for it but the XX's are the most bang for your buck!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

don't forget to incorporate the labels, I've made 2 or 3 men's shirt quilts and have cut the square and the pocket/label intack. My friend collected all plaids and stripes and did a chinese coin

I repurposed my fathers flannel shirts into a lap/twin quilt for my mom...when my dad passed away. I even used one pair of his jeans to make it more interesting. Used the shirt labels and pockets right in the quilt top! backed it with flannel, warm, comfy, and full of memories. We all snuggle with it when we are home.--I am a fan of re-purpose especially memory quilting

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I just went to my goodwill this morning. Ours must just be higher priced than everybody else's. $4 for a shirt. $4.50 for a belt and $1.50 for men's ties. They don't do bag days very often either. I just want this stuff for crafting; I can't imagine if I needed to purchase there for everyday wearing. But back to your question if I use a shirt I always save the buttons. I have a button addiction even if they are the plain white ones! New buttons can be pricey!
    I went to our local "new" Goodwill last week and they are very proud of their merchandise. I think their prices are pretty silly....especially for items which are obviously used and some in not so great condition. The Salvation Army is not much less.

Blog Entries
    I save the buttons as well, you can use them if you tie a quilt, just sew them on like a button would be, around boarders, decoration going across the top of the quilt, or put in a particular shape (heart, diamond, circle). pockets add a different spin on things as well. Easy to attach buttons using the ziz-zaz stitch on your machine or hand sew.
    You can get over a yard of fabric from an XL/XXL shirt. I don't use collar/cuffs if its less than 2" . I guess they would be great for string quilts, I just haven't made one... yet.
    Yard-sales will be upon us soon and that is another option for quilt fabric in disguise. Happy Hunting! I love Bonnie Hunter as well and she does a great de-boning shirt demo on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS-09AYE0fM
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

I have a large bin of deconctructed shirts waiting for me to get "a round tuit". Love Bonnie Hunter- took a class with her at Vermont Quiltfest last Spring. I save the buttons in a jar, and cuffs and collars if there's a decent amt of fabric in them that can be removed from any interfacing. I've used the scraps (seams, plackets) as firestarters since I only buy 100% cotton shirts. My local Thrift has men's shirts for $1, and ties are cheap also so I've been collecting silk ties. I started saving shirt and tie labels also. If anyone can spare "a round tuit" - please send it my way before the ground thaws and I have to clean up the garden and yard? Goodwill prices are rediculous! I stopped there this week and prices were $8.99 and up for dirty and torn shirts!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    After reading B. Hunter's book Scraps &Shirttails, I decided to "try" cutting into shirts.... Found 5 at local Goodwill on 50 percent off deal, washed and cut into one...My question is....do you save all those buttons...how about the collar and cuffs that have the stiffening on it. I will finish "repurposing" these shirts but am not sure I will do this again. Any thoughts on this?
    The front plackets and the cuffs and the collars can be cute embellishments.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

We have a Thrift Store in North Fork, that has everything on Sale on Tuesday and Thursday. Everything in the store (clothing) is a quarter. Get lots of big shirts that way. It is fun

Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    Oh, Mercy! Just what I need. Another sewing project.

Thanks for sharing----------will be trying this.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

One of the gals at my guild meeting made an apron out of one of her husband's shirts. It was cute. She used the collar as the neck piece and all the buttons down the front. She just cut off the sleeves and the back.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased shirts from thrift shops - never want to pay much for them and the bigger the better. My first buy was a 4X - didn't realize how large it was until I was putting it in the washer! Our Goodwill has a 'bin' store where you go in and it is all tossed into bins - you buy by the pound so shirts are much cheaper this way. I always look for the biggest, prettiest ones and they have to be 100% cotton. When I cut them apart, I don't usually save cuffs and/or collars unless they are big enough to get a 2.5" square from. I always cut the buttons off - can't bear to toss them and there will be a day when I wish I had some of them. I sort by color and store in drawers so they are easier to use - but I have been thinking about tossing them all into a large jar and using it for decoration while they wait for other uses. I am sure my five year old grandson would love to go through them from time to time to find the perfect button for his grandma! lol

Blog Entries
    I am just finishing my first 'shirt' quilt this week - it turned out to be 80 x 80 and the only other fabric I purchased was the dark for the hourglass block and the outer border. Will be shopping for some flannel for the back. I used a Chunky Churndash pattern from Bonnie K. Hunter's website - if anyone wants some of those squares and connecting sets - just let me know - I have plenty of them cut out and ready to go - even some of the blocks - you see, I made extra so I would be sure to have enough to play nicely together. lol Just send me a private message if you want any of my leftover parts. I don't have a picture to show yet since I just finished putting the final borders on yesterday at quilt group.

I have loved reading this thread. So many ideas to go on my bucket list. Thanks for the links to de-boning a shirt.
    The shirt aprons are so cute and would love to find the cuff wallets information.
    Last edited by JanieH; 03-14-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: correcting spelling

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I just went to my goodwill this morning. Ours must just be higher priced than everybody else's. $4 for a shirt. $4.50 for a belt and $1.50 for men's ties. They don't do bag days very often either. I just want this stuff for crafting; I can't imagine if I needed to purchase there for everyday wearing. But back to your question if I use a shirt I always save the buttons. I have a button addiction even if they are the plain white ones! New buttons can be pricey!
    Our Goodwill charges a lot more than that! They never have bag days that I know of. They must think we're in fat city down here! I started a lap quilt using shirts from other sources such as garage sales. A 2XX shirt has a lot of fabric in it, and Bonnie Hunter is inspiring, but it's quite a lot of work cutting them down, compared to just using yard goods. I save the buttons, but never have a use for them. I'll donate a big jar of them sometime.

More recently I saw a suggestion somewhere to use the fronts of big shirts to make the back of pillow covers that can be attached using the buttons. Just cut it to your square or rectangle with the buttons fastened and lined up near the middle. It would be a very cute and easy way of doing a pillow, and it could be the front of the pillow if you like the look.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Great idea, I go to Thrift store , but I look for cotton material or flannel . I had never thought of buy cotton shirts. I have bought good quality cotton skirts if I really liked the material. I mainly look for old embroidery linens which I will use for Crazy quilt blocks. Next time I go, I have more to look forward to.
    TxCaRose

Try Bonnie Hunters site. She has a video of how to take a shirt apart and use almost all of it.

I live in a large city and find the prices vary even between stores from the same organization, but those in more afluent neighborhoods also have some nice merchandise.

I have been collecting men's hawaian shirts to do a quilt. I have a big bag of them now and it is on my to do list this year. Have not decided on the pattern to use.

Thanks for this thread, I also may try to find a men's denim shirt to make an apron to wear when I am working in the garage/garden. I also like the idea for a removable pillow cover. People are so thrifty and have great ideas hear.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I volunteer at the Humane Society Thrift Store on Wednesdays. Workers get anything half price so I pay 50 cents for shirts. Since I love books, I am the book lady and always end up buying 4 or 5 books....I'll have to start looking at the shirts.

Lynn
    Start the Process
    Don't fail because you
    are afraid to
    Start the Process

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
    I went to our local "new" Goodwill last week and they are very proud of their merchandise. I think their prices are pretty silly....especially for items which are obviously used and some in not so great condition. The Salvation Army is not much less.
    That is sure the truth...anywhere I have gone in the country, the Goodwill is rather high. I know they use the proceeds to train people for jobs, but I sure do not want to buy their overpriced worn stuff. There are a lot of sensibly priced thrift stores...sensible for worn stuff...Sometimes I could get a new item at Kohl's for the same price!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast