Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Shirts from thrift store......

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I buy men's shirts at Goodwill, but only when they are on clearance for a dollar. I need to start using them. I have SO many!

I have measured the square inches that I get out of a shirt and it is the equivalent of between 1 and 2 yards of fabric, depending on the size of the shirt and the cut of the shirt. Those XXL and larger shirts have a lot of usable fabric to them!

I always save the buttons and the labels.

A hint on to save the buttons and keep the sets together - at a dollar store I found a bag of 120 little zip lock clear plastic bags that are about 2 by 3 inches, just a great size to hold a shirt's worth of buttons. Then you don't have to sort through hundreds of buttons to find a matching set.

When I take the buttons from a shirt, or whatever, I run a string through all of them and tie them up. Even if they are different sizes, I keep them all together. Then I throw them in the button jar to admire them. A couple months ago I bought a blouse that was way too small for me just to get the buttons. I then transferred them to a blouse that did fit. Like getting new clothes!
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lauriejo View Post
    When I take the buttons from a shirt, or whatever, I run a string through all of them and tie them up. Even if they are different sizes, I keep them all together. Then I throw them in the button jar to admire them. A couple months ago I bought a blouse that was way too small for me just to get the buttons. I then transferred them to a blouse that did fit. Like getting new clothes!
    I will buy a shirt too just for the buttons. Especially if they are fancy! Nice buttons can be as much as $3 and up apiece when buying new. If I can get a not so pretty piece of clothing for $3 but it has pretty buttons it is worth it to me!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    our local thrift store has 1/2 every monday so i have gotten into wool applique and go and get what i can find that is 100% wool alot cheeper than buying the already felted wool and felt it myself works great

I was looking at some of the shirt quilts on Google and one lady had done a piano key type border with the labels and a little of the area around them.

Blog Entries
    SouthernMema... LOVE your denim quilt!! I would never have thought of that, but it looks GREAT!!!

I've also loved reading all the ideas on this thread... thanks everyone!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

You ladies need to go to ROPA USADA (used clothing) in southern Texas. 25 cents a pound
    Quiltlady

Quote Originally Posted by tymia View Post
    Hey Lauriejo where is the tut for making wallats out of them?
    Sorry this took me so long, I couldn't find the tute I saved. http://replayground.blogspot.com/201...ff-wallet.html
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

What a cute idea, instead of a wallet, you could make a needlecase if you put in some flannel or felt pages to hold the needles, and you could put some little pockets for a seam ripper, awl, ruler, etc on one side and maybe a little pincushion on the other side, then when you went to a workshop you'd have everything right at hand especially if you were doing handwork like hexies or embroidery.
    Last edited by jeaninmaine; 03-19-2013 at 07:51 AM.

Oh that would be cute! I also saw a tute where she just sewed the long edges together and folded on short end over for a button down flap. It could be a coin purse or maybe a card case.

Thank you so much for the link. These are really clever!

Quote Originally Posted by lauriejo View Post
    Sorry this took me so long, I couldn't find the tute I saved. http://replayground.blogspot.com/201...ff-wallet.html

I have been buying sheets at our local thrift store to use for backing. I'm careful to get all cotton and new or near new, high thread count. Got lucky last month and got a luxery king size white sheet for $2. It's the only way I could afford to have backings on my quilts!!!!!!! I also keep a lookout for batting (I have found unopened bags for 50 cents). I'm hoping to find a nice cotton blanket to use as batting for a quilt I'm making for my grandson.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I DO save my collars and cuffs. I cut around the stitching to save time ripping those seams...if the interfacing will tear off - I tear it off! If not I toss it and save the side that doesn't have interfacing. Before I even start scrapping my shirts I remove buttons with a seam ripper. This is actually my ten year old's favorite job to help with! Also - look for 75% off and 25 cent sales at thrift stores. My local Goodwill has them three or four times a month and you can walk out with a handful of shirts for a buck or two. I also try to find shirts that don't look like some guys old flannel. I look specifically for shirts that look like reproduction civil war prints!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I'm like you, pumpkinpatchquilter, I love finding shirts that look like Civil War prints too. I've gotten some strange looks when I come up to the counter looking like I have a split personality -- shirts divided between dull and drab "old" prints and wild bright Hawaiian shirts! Maybe they think I'm buying for two different men! Tee-hee.

When you say about using the thrift store shirts, how do you use them? Do you mix the used shirts in with your new fabric? What kind of shirts does everyone look for? Like mens dress, plaid sport, or flannel?

I use Thrift Store clothing to make American Girl Doll clothes.

This is really a fun post! Totally enjoyed Bonnie Hunter's tips on de-boning a shirt, and yes, I also save buttons and string them up...something my grandma taught me when she needed to keep me busy! And I was looking at a booklet this eve in which the smaller quilts were 'tied' with buttons! I don't dare let DH get hold of his old shirts and toss them...he throws the WHOLE thing if I'm not around...
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Blog Entries
    southernmeme, i love you quilt 'stop'. send her my way.

I love going to the thrift shop for men's shirts. Our local shop has outdoor bins, 4 or $1. I love it!!! I went a few days ago and brought home 23 shirts... each shirt has nearly 1/4 yd once you get it all apart. If you live near Raleigh, NC though, don't read this!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4