Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy an EQ7? >

Should I buy an EQ7?

Should I buy an EQ7?

Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Default Should I buy an EQ7?

I am a beginner/intermediate quilter and so far, I get an idea in my head, then I find a similar quilt on Pinterest and build it on Powerpoint and do the math the best I can to determine how much fabric I need. Then I depend on the wonderful ladies at the quilt shop to help me as well.

I've been looking at EQ7. Is this product mainly for experienced quilters that are designing complicated quilts? If so, then I don't want it. Or if it's extremely complicated to learn, then I may not want it.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Janan View Post
Is this product mainly for experienced quilters that are designing complicated quilts?
No. Many people use it to design simple quilts, or applique quilts, or paper-pieced quilts. Many people use it to help them figure out how much yardage they need. Or to print out templates. Or paper-piecing patterns. Or to check color placement. Or to re-size blocks. There are SO MANY things you can do with this program!

Originally Posted by Janan View Post
Or if it's extremely complicated to learn, then I may not want it.
Well, that's a difficult question to answer. First of all, what constitutes "extremely complicated"? Many people found it simple to learn, and just as many people found it difficult. There are many threads here about this. I'm one of the users that found it quite easy to learn. EQ does have tutorials built into the program. There are also online classes, free tutorials here on the QB, and EQ has excellent help forums. I didn't work my way through any of the tutorials; I simply played around with the program. If there was something I wanted to do but didn't know how, I looked it up in the manual.

Check these bloggers out for EQ inspiration and examples:
https://virtualquilter.wordpress.com/
https://patchworkmaniac.wordpress.com/
http://waynekollingersquiltblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

It simple enough for a beginner an advanced enough for the professional designer. There is an online class how to use EQ7 coming soon. From taking it out of the box to advanced. I read the email a few days ago.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:26 PM

EQ - regardless of version - definitely has a learning curve. BUT, if you like designing quilts - or just remaking things you've seen elsewhere - it can be an invaluable tool. I'm still using EQ5 and have had no reason yet to upgrade. I'm not particularly creative but it definitely helps me in re-sizing things or color variants so for that it is very valuable to me. The electronic help section and (if they still provide them) the books are great and will answer most questions fairly quickly.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the post. I am interested in it too, but have not taken the plunge to buy it either. I have a Mac and I understand there is a Mac version available now.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

For me, EQ is one of the most valuable quilting tools I have. I don't use it to estimate yardage, but I use it a lot for design and color selection.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 PM

There's a new simpler version of EQ that the site says is for people who want to try it or don't want the full version. Check out the EQ site. It may be what you're looking for. As for me, I love EQ for all the reasons others have mentioned. And with a background in other graphics programs I didn't find it too difficult to learn.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 PM

I love having EQ--don't use it continually, but sure helps with planning a quilt. besides the tutorials and the blogs, I have found the books they sell with lessons VERY helpful. Another suggestion is to get together with friends that have it and learn together--several of us did this and it was really helpful.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 PM

I've never regretted buying EQ7. I sort of regret upgrading to EQ Stitch though. Lots of glitches and it turns out it's not really worth it for me.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:18 AM

My answers would be "ditto" to Peckish.

I use mine daily. (EQ6)