Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So my EQ7 came. Should I open it? >

So my EQ7 came. Should I open it?

So my EQ7 came. Should I open it?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:35 AM

Default So my EQ7 came. Should I open it?

I am a market changer. The second I buy any mature software, the manufacturer announces the next version. I wrote and asked EQ and they said they weren't working on version 8, so clearly they're speaking lawyereze and the new one will have some other name and version number ;-).

Tell me while I haven't opened and can still return this software...... what upgrades does EQ7 need that are going to make me wish I'd waited for the certain-to-come upgrade announcement? ;-).
Old 07-23-2016, 04:55 AM

My thoughts...everything we own/buy is always ready for upgrades......but nothing is perfect....so if you bought 7 because you liked and wanted what it offered, rip it open and enjoy it...don't fret about what may be around the corner!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
My thoughts...everything we own/buy is always ready for upgrades......but nothing is perfect....so if you bought 7 because you liked and wanted what it offered, rip it open and enjoy it...don't fret about what may be around the corner!
I knowwwww. And I figure that even if the upgrade comes out in the next few months, I will probably let others be the guinea pigs for the early version;-).

But it still would be nice to waylay some of the doubt.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:47 AM

Regardless of whether 8 is coming out soon or has additional features, EQ7 is still a fantastic piece of software. I'd say to open & it use it happily ... then when 9 comes out, you can buy that rather than wasting your time with the silly 8 software that's soon to be outdated anyways.

Plus, what if it's not the act of buying the software that's changing the market, but the act of opening it. You could leave your EQ7 unopened for 3 years & finally cave in & open it only to find out the next day that EQ8 is coming out ... meanwhile, the rest of us are forced to wait years to get the next upgrade! Not fair! Please DO open your EQ7. And post here to tell us how happy you are with it!

On a serious note ... it sounds like maybe you're questioning whether you really wanted EQ7 after all, and would prefer to wait until the next version comes out. Nothing at all wrong with that. Just keep using whatever you've been using & then when they announce the latest version is coming out, you can be there at the store on Day 1.

Last edited by Bree123; 07-23-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Geri B. I worked with another engineer during the time when personal computers were young, prices were falling, and upgrades were coming out constantly. He was putting off buying one because of the turmoil in the market, and as a result he was becoming a dinosaur in his field. This is not quite the same situation, but it's similar in that he was reluctant to buy anything because something new was just over the horizon.

What's the worst that can happen? You open your EQ, a new version is announced tomorrow, and you have the **choice** to upgrade, at a fee that's well below the purchase price. On the other hand, if you send it back, and no upgrade is announced right away, you've lost the ability to use EQ for your quilt designs. Since you have an (unopened) EQ box already, it seems obvious that you made the decision once to use it. So like Geri said, rip it open! (Let's chant... rip it open, rip it open, rip it open...)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 AM

I would say open it and have fun. I have and use EQ5 - have never felt the need for an upgrade. I realize v7 has been on the market for a few years now, but EQ does not strike me as being one to upgrade every year or 2. They seem to wait until they have something substantially, significantly different before having upgraded version.

Go for it!
Old 07-23-2016, 07:12 AM

I worked in the computer profession for many years too, often in procurement, so I know about pricing volatility. The stickler about EQ7 is it is SIX years old. That is ancient in the computer world. Something is coming over the horizon, you can bet.

But yep, EQ7 has some fun things that I can use right now. I keep thinking that maybe I can get by with Illustrator. But Illustrator can't auto print templates with seam allowances, sooooo.

I should enjoy what I can do now. Life is short. Besides, you all need an upgrade. I should open my software and expedite the announcement.

I wish we had a "like" button. So many fun responses.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Besides, you all need an upgrade.
Ah, if it were only possible. I'd like an upgrade to my back, my knees, my face, my energy ...
Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

No reason to fret over it. Even if an upgrade is around the corner, you will will get a big discount for having EQ7. I have had EQ since it was on floppy disc and used MS DOS. Each upgrade has been worth it.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Me too! Floppy EQ. I have EQ4!