Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So my EQ7 came. Should I open it? >

So my EQ7 came. Should I open it?

So my EQ7 came. Should I open it?

Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Enjoy what you have while you have it. That goes for EQ7 and all the rest of life.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

definitely open it and enjoy
Old 07-23-2016, 06:39 PM

I agree with the others. Open and enjoy. Just because something new and improved might come out doesn't mean you can't continue to enjoy your current product. I still use Photoshop CS6.

My husband still, to this day, harbors a little resentment towards his mother because when he was a child and wanted something, she constantly told him "there will be a better one out next year". It's become a family joke but I can tell deep down it still bothers him.

Live life NOW, not in "what-ifs".
Old 07-23-2016, 07:55 PM

OPEN EQ7
Great program.
You will love it.
Upgrades are inexpensive!
Kirsten
Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 PM

I talked with the programmer of EQ7 several years ago. At the time, he stated there would be no more versions. He did not feel there was anything major that needed to be added to the program. There have been a couple of updates that I downloaded at no charge. Open that box and enjoy. The manual is available for a free download at the EQ website. I use it more than I use the hardcopy.

Edited to add: I bought Block Base as an addition to the program. It gives you a lot more blocks to use in your designs. I have participated in the Monthly Challenge at http://doyoueq.com/clubeq/ for quite a while. The nice thing is if you submit a quilt design, then you will get a copy of all the designs that were submitted for that month. It's a quick way to see how others do things in EQ. There is a lot to learn in this program.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:36 PM

I saw those updates. Many companies wouldn't release any feature changes in a patch release, so I was pretty impressed that EQ did.

It's kind of hard to even contemplate a quilting world without a program such as EQ. We need to keep computers that run current operating systems around, because at some point EQ7 won't be compatible with the newer operating systems. Then what? I do think there's room for something new. Many of the features could be expanded, IMHO. For instance, how about a swath of stars? Stars would be the perfect swath fodder. Other ideas too.

I have BLOCKBASE! Version 1. No, I haven't opened EQ7 yet (too busy today), but know that through a roundabout process (at least), I can use the blocks.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:36 PM

If you have the computer to run Eq7 then open and enjoy. I have it and it want go on my iPad .
Old 07-24-2016, 02:38 AM

I wouldn't be able to stop myself from opening it...I'm sure you did a lot of research when you purchased it and now you actually have one... I have been contemplating whether or not I would use one because I have purchased enough patterns to keep me busy for several years. LOL
Old 07-24-2016, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

OPEN the box and have FUN!! Many of us have EQ7 and can help you thru any questions. I use my EQ7 almost on a daily basis. Mostly, I take a quilt pattern and resize the pattern to a size I want to make for charity. It does take some time to learn but now a days there are suppose to be all sorts of videos to help you thru the steps.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:18 AM

Default I opened my EQ7!

And I installed it via the USB flash drive they provide.....so much handier than using a CD or DVD. And I stayed up later than a grownup should, playing with it, ;-).

What I really love so far:
The swath tool! I will definitely use it to make a quilt. I only wish I could do stars with it too, although that would be pretty complex
The many grids for stars, kaleids, dresden (or New York Beauties), etc. Those are a work of genius
The ease at setting up a basic quilt.
The eyedropper tool for finding fabrics that I've used.
The true ease at creating paper piecing patterns that print with correct numbering, even!
The block library. Sooo many blocks, so little time.
Being able to import jpg fabric files....and all the files out there available to import.

Since I've used several graphics programs, the learning curve doesn't seem all that steep for me. I may need to watch a few more videos on the specifics of doing things in EQ7, but I don't think it'll be too challenging. (I do have a pretty extensive background in software, both in programming and power usage.)

What is weird:
The snap to node feature. The process to create a snap node, according to the official EQ video on EasyDraw is to add the block to the sketchbook and then click refresh. No kidding. (Most drawing programs create a node when you create a line that intersects, easy peasy.)

The fact that yes, we have serendipity tools, but some are mostly for playing with quilt designs. Many of them don't print well. When you try and print them, it warns you of that.

I don't care about the photo editing tools, since I would do photo editing in Photoshop. I wish I could take those out of tip of the day in favor of more useful (to me) tips.

And some weirdness with fabric import. I imported some fabric into the library then immediately copied it to my sketchbook without saving to the library. Oops. Fine, it didn't save in my library, I'll just re-import. When I attempted to re-import the files into the library in another project, it looked like they were being imported, but the library was blank (yes, I selected the library properly, etc). The only way I could get those fabrics back into the library was to go into the project where they were in the sketchbook and copy them back to the library (and of course, save the library this time). EQ7 seems to have a little too robust process for preventing duplicates.

On balance, I'm very glad I have the software and I'm certain it will result in way too much time spent here at my computer ;-). But I can think of worse pursuits ;-).

Last edited by TeresaA; 07-24-2016 at 07:25 AM.