Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy an EQ7? >

Should I buy an EQ7?

Should I buy an EQ7?

Old 08-27-2016, 02:12 AM

I bought EQ7 after sitting on the fence for a long time. Having some experience with graphics software, I had little challenge in learning it.

It is definitely good for any quilter, entry level to advanced. And it's better for quilt designing than drawing programs are, because it estimates yardage, can create templates with seam allowance for any reasonable size on the fly. I'm glad I have it.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

My first purchase of EQ was EQ3 in 1995. There is a bit of a learning curve but there are now videos included with the program. You just have to know your way around like with the sketchbook when you design a block or quilt. I seldom make a quit without using this program. If you need to resize a pattern, you can quickly make a lap quilt into a king size quilt. I love being able to import fabric from fabric manufacture's website. That is why I upgrade from EQ5 to EQ7. Here is the EQ7 draft of this quilt and the finally quilt top. LOVE IT!
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes-scottie.jpg   warm-wishes-scotty.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 08:27 AM

That is fantastic! Ok, so now I am sold, but one more question.

I see on Amazon, I can buy the box EQ7 for the Mac for $150.00. On the electric quilt website, there is a download available, but it is $189.

If I called Electric Quilt and asked them to lower the download to $150, I would think they would (I am an optimistic) . But is there an advantage for getting the box?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM

Well, I ordered it on Amazon. The price went up three times since I wrote this last post, about 10 minutes ago. It was $156 by the time I ordered it. I figured there will be things in the box that may not be offered in the download.

Anyway, since I have Amazon Prime, it will come pretty quickly. Can't wait!
Old 08-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Please post how you get along with it. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I found the learning curve for EQ7 to be tediously long, even with my background in software design and programming. Seems as if people with graphic design experience do better. There does seem to be a distinct differentiation between those who fall in love with EQ7 and those who never quite get the hang of using it.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM

I have EQ, but don't use it. I find that I'm inspired by fabric, not by a quilt pattern. I'd do quilts with EQ, but when I'm in the store, some fabric says "buy me" and the EQ design goes out the window and I make something entirely different than what I had planned using EQ. So I stopped using it.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Penny and Prism, I will give you an update. Thanks for your comments!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It simple enough for a beginner an advanced enough for the professional designer. There is an online class how to use EQ7 coming soon. From taking it out of the box to advanced. I read the email a few days ago.
That is one online course I would love to take - I have trouble navigating EQ7, I know what I want to do, but can't always figure out how - not very intuitive IMO.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:33 AM

I use it mainly for setting my fabrics/colors into a quilt pattern or if I see a photo of a quilt that I like I'll see if I can recreate it in EQ7 for the cutting info. Have yet to figure out how to create a new quilt pattern from it. But I like to be able to print out a pic of the quilt I'm working on and keep it with the quilting patterns I layout using my ProQ Designer program. I keep these together in a folder to go back to down the road if someone asks how I did it.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:47 AM

I have been sitting on the EQ fence for awhile as well. this may be the deciding question: can I resize a pattern figure out cutting instructions with it? What I mean is, I have a patten from a book, but the cutting instructions are for queen size only. I want to make a smaller quilt, but not decrease the size of the blocks. Make sense?