Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I upgrade my machine? >

Should I upgrade my machine?

Should I upgrade my machine?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM

I'd sure try using a thinner bobbin thread if that is your main complaint, as new machines are A) expensive; and B) difficult to get used to.

Viking is a great machine. I have owned three of them: a 6460 purchased in 1977 which I love, & still have: a Designer 1 purchased in 2005, which I really disliked, & sold this year; and an Emerald 201, purchased this March, which I am still rather middle-of-the-road on, mostly because of the bobbin & the reverse button. Both are difficult to use. If I could get my 35 year-old 6460 repaired, I'd go back to using it!!!! But overall, they are really great machines with wonderful features!!!!! I wouldn't change machines if I were you, at least not until I tried thinner bobbin thread. Then, I might look for a used machine with a longer neck & bigger bobbin.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 PM

I love my Janome to do small quilts and I have a 10 foot quilting frame to do hand quilting on. Love my cutting table my husband found free on the side of a house and we redid it. purfet size. I use a antique double pedastal desk for my sewing machine table. I have to take pictures and show you all. it's my dream sewing room.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have a 6600 and love it. I understand they're being phased out since the Horizon came out, perhaps you can get a deal? Re the throat space, I don't often make anything larger than a large lap quilt so the throat is fine. The only upgrade I'd make in the harp size is like Harriet said - if it were the couple of feet an LA gives you. Regarding using a DSM on a frame, I have considered it and tried them out at shows but you get down to around 4" of quilting space past halfway and I feel that would restrict my quilting design. So I'm waiting on the LA. LOL :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Before I got my new brother 1500, I was using a Singer 201, which I also love. I do mostly SID and the Singer had an underarm of about 8inches, and the Brother has 9, but the arm is a little higher, I really dont see that much difference trying to muscle a king size quilt through the arm. I do however piece and quilt in units anywhere from 20 x 20 up to 30 x 95, and that makes it so much easier, you just have to plan for the seams on the back and it takes a little more fabric. When I get the time I will post the 20x20 which was done on the 201, and the other qayg which I gave to my son, so I will have to go there to photo as I forgot to take a pix before giving.:)
I have a 2 - 201s and started to set one up for fmq and I had a jam and had to take it to my local repair shop and luckily she noticed that the wire going into the motor had been cooked and had open wires, she doesn't do wiring so when I got home DH and I checked my other 201 and it has the same problem. So they are being put on the back burner for now, maybe DH can figure out how to rewire it and the motor for a winter project. So for now I will be using my Viking, but I think I am leaning toward keeping my Viking and getting a straight stitch like the Brother 1500S etc. I would like to see one and try it out first. The dealer I went to today doesn't carry them. So will have to check out another shop.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 AM

I love my Janome 6600P for piecing and quilting. The space in the throat even makes my puddling work fine. Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM

I really can't tell you if the additional throat space would make a big difference, but I would suggest that you keep your #1+. I used to own a #1+ and traded up to the Designer SE several years ago. I don't wrestling large projects to quilt them, so I send them to a LongArm quilter.

I fear that the #1+ would not have a big trade-in allowance at this point, so it probably is worth more to you than it would be to a dealer. (It is a great machine) You might want to call a dealer to see what they would give you for it.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne
Originally Posted by patdesign
Before I got my new brother 1500, I was using a Singer 201, which I also love. I do mostly SID and the Singer had an underarm of about 8inches, and the Brother has 9, but the arm is a little higher, I really dont see that much difference trying to muscle a king size quilt through the arm. I do however piece and quilt in units anywhere from 20 x 20 up to 30 x 95, and that makes it so much easier, you just have to plan for the seams on the back and it takes a little more fabric. When I get the time I will post the 20x20 which was done on the 201, and the other qayg which I gave to my son, so I will have to go there to photo as I forgot to take a pix before giving.:)
I have a 2 - 201s and started to set one up for fmq and I had a jam and had to take it to my local repair shop and luckily she noticed that the wire going into the motor had been cooked and had open wires, she doesn't do wiring so when I got home DH and I checked my other 201 and it has the same problem. So they are being put on the back burner for now, maybe DH can figure out how to rewire it and the motor for a winter project. So for now I will be using my Viking, but I think I am leaning toward keeping my Viking and getting a straight stitch like the Brother 1500S etc. I would like to see one and try it out first. The dealer I went to today doesn't carry them. So will have to check out another shop.
I actually bought mine from Kens quilt shop on ebay, I had a 75.00 gift certificate and he had it on sale so it was a win win. I researched it on the Brother web site and emailed a few people on this board. I really like it, has a lot of power, a pin feed, ability to drop feed dogs, thread cutter button so you can cut threads without moving quilt. I always backstitch 2 stitches then cut. I have had it now about 9 months. It has lots of power and has really been trouble free. :-D
Old 08-02-2011, 03:54 PM

you can make do by using paint sticks on the sides to stabilize the quilt and use grip clips to fasten to the paint sticks

Julia
Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 PM

I did it! I went and tried a Pfaff Expression 2.0 that was at my local quilt shop and I loved the fmq on it, it has 10" throat space. It is a floor model they are selling and I put it on layaway. She is adding the 1/4" foot, which she thinks should come with every quilt machine, and the straight stitch plate, along with the original accessories. I can't wait to get it. I also decided to keep my #1+. I have a couple of GD I hope to teach sewing and quilting. I will update when I get it.