Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I upgrade my machine? >

Should I upgrade my machine?

Should I upgrade my machine?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't buy a new machine to gain 1.5". I did, however, buy a longarm to gain a couple feet. :)

I learned to quilt in sections on my DSM, and that technique saved my sanity. I used Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections - http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...2120076&sr=8-4
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 AM

Good tip.

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne
Can you tell me how far or how long can you quilt with l bobbin? My machine has a concave bobbin and it only holds enough thread to do a 12 x 14 practice quilt. I went to a class on fmq and there were 2 other woman there, I had to change bobbins 5 times to their one bobbin. It was a real pain. That is one of the main reasons I am thinking of upgrading, otherwise I have never had a problem with my machine. Viking definitely screw up with the bobbin on the #1+.
Change your bobbin thread to something finer... you will go much further.. Try Superior threads "bottom line" thread.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Essiescott
Well ya'll aren't gonna believe this---but a few years ago, before I knew better---I did a stitch in the ditch king size quilt on a Featherweight. Y'all know how much throat space is on those.

Sibyl
I FMQ on my Featherweight all the time. Large quilts, too. The secret is to use a good, thin batting like Warm & Natural and to work from the center out on the lower right quadrant. I also spray and hand baste my quilts.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 AM

I have the Janome Horizon with an 11" bed. It comes with built in even feed feature. Has free motion foot and many other useful feet. Thread cutter; up & down needle position; 1 step button-hole maker; scads of stitches; presser foot lift; the list goes on and on.
It was VERY easy to learn. I've had it just under a year and I've enjoyed every quilt making / sewing experience I've had with it. I especially like free motion quilting on it.
Yes, it's an expensive machine. I went to Dralle Brothers Sewing in Waterloo Iowa (319-291-6776). Remember, this machine had just been released. It's a $3000 machine. I traded in three old Singers. I got the machine for $2500 and the owner threw in a travel case, sewing mat (machine sits on the mat and doesn't slip around), acrylic extension table, scissors, 200 extra bobbins, spool stand, machine cover, and gift certificates. The dealer even paid my sales tax!
I was so impressed that I took my Mother to the store and she purchased a smaller Janome. Dealer also treated her well.
Mother is 86 and she learned her new machine easily, too.

Sounds like a commercial for the dealer, doesn't it? Sorry!
But I LOVE this machine!

Lori

Janome Horizon
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234165[/ATTACH]

Built in even feed behind foot; comes with a special foot that is also attached.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234166[/ATTACH]

11 bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234167[/ATTACH]

Extra storage & free arm; note foot lifter on lower right of machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]234173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234159.jpe   attachment-234160.jpe   attachment-234161.jpe   attachment-234167.jpe  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM

If you are used to a Viking then I say stay so you can use the feet you have. The new Saphire 875 has the 9" span you are looking for.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 AM

I just upgraded to a Bernina 820 to get the 12 inch throat and an extra large bobbin. It was pricey but I love it! Sandy
Old 07-31-2011, 09:21 AM

If there isn't any thing wrong with your machine, keep it. Just pick up an old singer or other machine with approx. 9" throat space. Also the new Janome has an 11" throat space . But, if you don't need to give up your machine to buy a new one, keep it they don't make them like that anymore.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Before I got my new brother 1500, I was using a Singer 201, which I also love. I do mostly SID and the Singer had an underarm of about 8inches, and the Brother has 9, but the arm is a little higher, I really dont see that much difference trying to muscle a king size quilt through the arm. I do however piece and quilt in units anywhere from 20 x 20 up to 30 x 95, and that makes it so much easier, you just have to plan for the seams on the back and it takes a little more fabric. When I get the time I will post the 20x20 which was done on the 201, and the other qayg which I gave to my son, so I will have to go there to photo as I forgot to take a pix before giving.:)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne
I have my tables set up to fmq with a clear vinyl on top with the Sew Slip and have quilted a couple of lap size quilts. My biggest problem is the bobbin doesn't hold much for thread so I am constantly having to stop and change the bobbin which is not easily done with this machine in my setup. The bobbins my machine takes are plastic concave bobbins, to my knowledge it is the only machine ever made with these small bobbins.
what is sew slip?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a Janome and would never put away a Viking just to
have a Janome. I'd love one. My Janome has some little
quirks I don't like but I'm stuck with it. It will do what I need
to do.