Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Size of Quilt >

Size of Quilt

Size of Quilt

Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 PM

It only take that one child to die, I worked in a prevention program and did have one baby that dies due to suffocation from the beautiful quit he slept with, It was very sad, I had been able to warn the grandma ahead of time but they must not have listened to the warning. we certainly do not want it to be a baby we can save.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Idle Di View Post
I hope someone can help me. What size is a cot quilt and a bassinette quilt please. I was once told by someone that a cot is 90cm by 110cm is that correct.

Idle Di

That should be correct. For those of us non-metric, it converts to approximately 36 x 44, which is usually either a baby or crib (bassinette/cot) size.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Idle Di View Post
I hope someone can help me. What size is a cot quilt and a bassinette quilt please. I was once told by someone that a cot is 90cm by 110cm is that correct.

Idle Di
Isn't there something about not using baby quilts but more like a wrap for the baby? I know I made a baby quilt and it was going to be a play blanket where the baby could lay on the floor? I don't know...thought there was some kind of safety issue?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Educatio...-Centers/cribs

Last edited by slbram17; 01-23-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

According to google, the NZ standard cot size for mattresses is 69x130 cm and a large cot is 77x133 cm. In inches that would be around 27x51 or 30x52. Of course with overhang, you could make the quilt wider.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Isn't there something about not using baby quilts but more like a wrap for the baby? I know I made a baby quilt and it was going to be a play blanket where the baby could lay on the floor? I don't know...thought there was some kind of safety issue?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Educatio...-Centers/cribs
Yes I had heard of that, but I believe that most new parents, have them for show. I am happy if they put their little one on it for play time.

Idle Di
Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 AM

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board Di. You know everytime I hear of some new danger to babies I wonder how we and our children survived? I know that something bad has happened and that this is why they are bringing up whatever but it still makes me wonder how everyone survived!!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM

I make crib quilts at 30" x 30" as my compromise to those who say no quilts. Big enough to hold body heat in, but not big enough to get tangled in.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I just wanted to say Welcome to the board Di. You know everytime I hear of some new danger to babies I wonder how we and our children survived? I know that something bad has happened and that this is why they are bringing up whatever but it still makes me wonder how everyone survived!!
Yep so true, I think back to when my kids were born, gee I must have been a bad mum, I had cot bumpers, sleeping bags with sleeves in them, quilts, blankets, and sheets. My daughter when she had her children I had to cut off anything with sleeves in them that I had made for bed time, no sheets, blankets or quilts. they went to bed with nothing except a sleeping bag without sleeves. No zips, nothing. gee I must have been bad, but my children have survived.

Idle Di