Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small quilted items >

Small quilted items

Small quilted items

Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM

The Patchsmith on Craftsy has some adorable mug rug patterns. One set has 10 patterns for $10-great way to use up scraps, too! Also, with the potholders you could make a coordinating drying mat/decorative towels.http://www.33shadesofgreen.com/2011/...dish-mats.html

Last edited by Susann; 12-04-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 AM

Thank you so much for your ideas and tips. I just went to Google and found some tutes for various items. I also found some tutes here on QB. I have some stash plus I can use some of my old cotton clothes and also my old denim jeans.
I am going to make a list of things I will need to buy.Today, I plan to visit all the thrift shops in our area and see what's available. Then I can decide what else I'll need and check my budget to see what I can afford.

I am so excited!!

Thanks a million.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Take a kitchen towel, cut it in half, make a new top half by making a quilted triangle or other shape and a strap that folds over and has a button or velcro so you can attach it to a door handle or refrigerator door. If you crochet, you could crochet a top instead. Generally the towel is gathered or pleated.

Make trash bags for the car. I lined mine with vinyl,so they don't get too dirty.

Weighted pin cushion and trash bag for sewing. The weight can be a piece of tile ~4x4" or sand. The trash bag can be lined in batting to catch threads.

Over the arm pin cushion/organizer with pockets for scissors, thread, seam ripper, ....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Fabric boxes are real popular right now. Perhaps a few of those in various sizes~~
Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM

Just a note on selling... spring shows are not nearly as popular in attendance as fall shows. My experience is that if you do a spring show .. plan on one a week or two prior to Mothers Day , those do better than other spring shows.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
Take a kitchen towel, cut it in half, make a new top half by making a quilted triangle or other shape and a strap that folds over and has a button or velcro so you can attach it to a door handle or refrigerator door. If you crochet, you could crochet a top instead. Generally the towel is gathered or pleated.

Make trash bags for the car. I lined mine with vinyl,so they don't get too dirty.

Weighted pin cushion and trash bag for sewing. The weight can be a piece of tile ~4x4" or sand. The trash bag can be lined in batting to catch threads.

Over the arm pin cushion/organizer with pockets for scissors, thread, seam ripper, ....
Thank you for the ideas.
I saw a tute for the kitchen towel project. I am going to try those.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
RST seems to have covered it all, but Iwill add baked potato bags and bowl potholders (place the bowl in the holder, which is curved to hold the bowl, place in the microwave to heat, and then just pull it out without burning yourself).
I just want to caution to be sure to use the correct batting in potato bags, and make sure you don't leave any bits of pins or metal in them. I have a bag that I have used and loved for several years. I purchased a few to give as gifts, and the one I gave my MIL burst into flames in her microwave the first time she used it. I was a little embarrassed--- to say the least.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
I just want to caution to be sure to use the correct batting in potato bags, and make sure you don't leave any bits of pins or metal in them. I have a bag that I have used and loved for several years. I purchased a few to give as gifts, and the one I gave my MIL burst into flames in her microwave the first time she used it. I was a little embarrassed--- to say the least.
I think the batting with the metal in it is what does this. It's called "Insul-Bright" from the Warm Company. This stuff works well for a lot of things: to keep in the heat after it has been heated, or protect surfaces from heat. Put your potato in it after it is baked and it will stay warm longer.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 AM

for the bowl koozies you use 100% cotton fabric, thread and batting, they take a short time to make. You can make them in a variety of sizes.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 AM

These small zippered bags are really easy to make: Made 10 of them yesterday, they are 12" high and 8 inches wide use a 20/21 inch zipper, Used two different fabrics, and interfaced both pieces, then applied zipper.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]450154[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]450156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]450158[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails small-zippered-bag-3-inside.jpg   p1000931.jpg   p1000932-small-zippered-bag.jpg