Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow? >

Snow?

Snow?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 AM

I read an article by a fabric curator that old quilts should have clean window screen laid on top of them, then vacuum through the screen. Dust and dirt comes through the screen, but fabric and batting stay in place.

Congratulations on your treasure find.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:57 PM

Maybe use that Retro clean quilt cleaner (http://retroclean.com/retroclean/) for old stained quilts. Some quilt stores carry it as well as Amazon.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:37 PM

I would hang it on the line and let it air out . on a day that was not windy
Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 PM

So fortunate for you that you have found a treasure. You will want to treat it as one too. Go to your LQS and ask about the product they use for this type of gentle cleanse. Follow the directions and the best of luck to you with restoration. You truly do have a gift.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 PM

OK, this is a question, not a statement..................
What about putting it in the dryer, no heat. I do that to sweaters to freshen them.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:06 PM

The clothesline on dry days would be my choice, but don't be surprised if it takes several of them to get the quilt aired out. If it is sunny, you could cover the quilt with an old sheet to prevent fading.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:49 AM

Yes it is! I didn't realise it when I started to quilting. You are very lucky to have found it. I would put it somewhere where people will see it. Definitely a museum piece and should be stored as such like it. I would put something around it like a hanging rope or some kind of blockage so that people can see but not touch. Handle it with care of course, use lint free gloves as you see on tv. As far as refreshing it, hang it out on a cold day, but not in the snow. Let air get to it, to get the smell out, and repairing it, I'm not sure if it would lower that value of it.

I saw on antigues roadshow, that old time quilts can be worth a heck of alot of money. Please hang on to it.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If the quilt just needs freshening up, perhaps airing it out would help. Is it stable enough to hang on a clothesline? (Never do this with a wet quilt.)
this would be my suggestion especially if you have holes needing repair etc. On a sunny day, I think would do a lot to freshen it up. If you can lay on lawn it won't have the stress of hanging, and you could even lay a sheet or two under it if you don't want it to touch the ground or grass. Or maybe over the backs of several outdoor chairs might also be a little less stressful or if you don't have a clothes line. Lay or hang it back side up?

Are there any relatives you could ask if they have any clues or info regarding the maker etc? [haven't read all the posts so excuse if this was already suggested]

Ok read the rest of the posts. Baking soda packets might work too worth a try, and not likely to cause any harm. Dryer on air only with maybe a fabric soften sheet in with it may freshen but if there are some holes this might be too much agitation until they are mended. There are resources to find ways to repair antique quilts with tears and holes and I'd check these out first.

Congrats on finding this family heirloom.

Last edited by starshine; 10-20-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

I have read the same also.
Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I read an article by a fabric curator that old quilts should have clean window screen laid on top of them, then vacuum through the screen. Dust and dirt comes through the screen, but fabric and batting stay in place.

Congratulations on your treasure find.