Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow? >

Snow?

Snow?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:13 AM

Default Snow?

I was recently looking for something else in the attic, when I noticed a piece of an old quilt sticking out of a stack of old sheets, etc.--quality for throwing over to shield from dust etc. There was a bit of embroidered handwriting in evidence so retrieved the quilt, thinking perhaps it was a friendship quilt from my mother's era. Remember some of those were used between mattress and springs when they became worn? That's what I figured from the way this had been separated from other family quilts . Imagine my amazement to discover the "handwriting" revealed that the quilt was a wedding present to my grandmother and dated 1891! What was just an old, worn, junk quilt is now a treasure and will now have a better method of storing.

There are no stains but some holes, general deterioration of fabrics, and old smell. I'd like to freshen the quilt before giving it more respectful storage with other quilts but laundry is certainly out of the question. A friend told me she remembered her mother taking hand braided rugs outside at the first snow, spreading them out, then bringing the rugs back inside to dry, much cleaner. Has anyone tried this with old quilts? Does it work? I realize our snows of today are not as pristine as those of a generation ago. Would appreciate opinions.

i wish I knew who made the quilt but am so glad for what is on it. I wonder if any of my quilts will be around in 124 yrs. This is why labeling is so important.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't do that. Sounds like an old wise tale. I use a product called Linen Wash that was made in Florida. I use to get it at a finer linen store before that chain closed down. I once soaked a client's quilt overnight that had been ironed with the blue be gone lines on the quilt. I was amazed that the blue be gone was gone the next day.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 AM

What a treasure you've found.
I remember my grandmother doing the snow thing with hand braided rugs. I have no idea if it would be good or bad for your quilt.
She also hung quilts on the clothesline overnight on those still, frosty nights and claimed that the cold night air was a great way to get rid of musty smells.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:21 AM

WOW - what a find. You are very lucky to have found it. If it were mine, I would not try the snow.

I used to work in a quilt store and we sold little packets of something for this purpose but I can not remember what it was. I went googling to see if I could find it and found this link

http://www.home-ec101.com/how-to-cle...intage-linens/

I also found the detergent that they were talking about at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Restoration-Hy.../dp/B002ISCPD2

I myself have not tried this detergent, but if it were mine I would aim for using something that was designed for this purpose.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I would try snow either. In googling braided rugs and snow, the results I found are for wool rugs. Apparently you lay the rug out on fresh powder (not wet snow), walk around on it, move the rug to another area, walk around on it again, and repeat until the rug isn't leaving dirty marks on the snow. Seems like it might work for a rug, which is meant to be walked on, but probably not for a quilt.

If the quilt just needs freshening up, perhaps airing it out would help. Is it stable enough to hang on a clothesline? (Never do this with a wet quilt.) It sounds like you need to get up into that attic more often and search for more treasures.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 AM

*** Why not just hang it on the clothes line and let it air out.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:56 AM

First I want to say what a find! How special is that quilt now. Sorry I don't know about cleaning it or getting out the old smell.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 AM

You made a wonderful heartwarming find.
I would try making several packets of paper towel or fabric(it has to be able to breath) and fill them with backing soda. Them tuck them in the folds of the quilt. It works in the refridg,shoes, ect. and should work in the quilt with out harm. If some of it gets on the quilt just shake it out. I know that charcoal works too but I would be afraid it would escape and get on the quilt!
Good luck
Old 10-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

when i took quilting in 1980 from charlotte angotti she always stressed to put labels on your quilts its so nice to know who made them!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:27 AM

The traditional soaking in the bathtub or soaking in your washing machine without agitation in "quilt soap" would work.
YES, you found a jewel! Congratulations!

P.S........ get the special soap at your LQS or online.

Last edited by Tiggersmom; 10-18-2015 at 11:29 AM.