Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Soft Soft High Loft >

Soft Soft High Loft

Soft Soft High Loft

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM

Default Soft Soft High Loft

I am looking for good quality medium to high loft batting to give my quilts a bit more definition. I came acros a product by the Warm Company called Soft Soft High Loft. Did you use this batting before? Is it even thickness or are there "bold" spots? I will be using a LA for quilting. I am looking to buy a bolt so I do not want to buy a dud. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM

I would also like to know, will be watching posts. I want batting that makes the quilt soft, fluffy, and more cuddly. I have been using warm and natural but it seems so flat to me. I am out and getting ready to make a purchase also.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM

Never heard of this product, but I'll be watching this thread as well. Like ontheriver said, I use W & N, but would like a little fluffier loft, without the bearding of poly.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs Polydown gives quilting beautiful definition. But if you really want the quilting to POP use two layers of batting.

This was done with a layer of bamboo on bottom, Hobbs Polydown on top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]394937[/ATTACH]

This was done with a layer of 80/20 blend and hobbs polydown on top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]394938[/ATTACH]

This was done with a layer of W&N and Hobbs poly down on top

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394939[/ATTACH]

Two layers does make for an extra warm quilt and does add weight; actually it is the cotton that is heavy or blend, poly batting is usually very light and it quilts very flat if heavily quilted. But a single layer of poly gives lovely definition to your quilting. Another brand is Quilters Dream but I have not tried their deluxe loft or their Dream Puff.

Edited to add, I have never had a bearding issue with Hobbs poly down or Quilters Dream poly. However, I hand quilted with quilters dream and I did get a bit of bearding when drawing my needle through. If you are concerned about bearding then spring for wool. Wool has gorgeous loft, gives almost trapunto like definition to your quilting, doesn't beard, is washable and is probably the nicest batting you can buy. It also carries a nice price tag but you get what you pay for.

Hobbs poly down does come on rolls. You may have to hunt around on line to find someone that carries it. I just wait for Connecting threads to run their 30% off sale and buy the prepackaged stuff in sizes I use a lot.
Attached Thumbnails creme-brulee-1.jpg   pumpkin-pie-close-up-cross-hatching.jpg   izzies-quilt-poodle-princess.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-13-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

Feline Fanatic, those are gorgeous quilts. Thank you for all the info and advice. I have never tried Hobbs Poly Down and I will at least buy a precut package for now and hunt for a bolt. I have just found out that a LQS may have some Quilters Dream. Funny, several quilters I talked to in the last few days said how they really do not like the flat and flopy look of the quilts, yet that is the most common batting you find. We must be the minority.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 AM

i would buy for one quilt only to see how you like it. it can't be too bad if other people use it. perhaps use it on a quilt that you are planning to donate.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 AM

My local Hobby Lobby carries Hobbs Poly Down and I love using it as well. With their 40% off coupon, I can get a queen size package for less than $10.