Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
some more applique questions. >

some more applique questions.

some more applique questions.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:07 PM

1) when doing fusible applique do I need to put something behind the block if I use a zig-zag or satin stitch and if so what is best to use? Not for zig-zag, but yes or satin stitch. I use a tear away stabilizer for satin stitching. You could also do a buttonhole stitch (also called a "blanket stitch"), if you have that option on your machine.

2) when using fusible what is the best way to start and stop my stitching to lock it? It depends. With satin stitching, you just overlap a few stitches at the beginning and end. Otherwise, you can do a few micro-stitches (straight) at the beginning & end of your stitching.

3) again when using fusible how do I make nice circles? Cutting and stitching. I bought a locking compass for larger circles, cut out of mylar template plastic & sand the edges smooth. For smaller circles, I use Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles. With fusible, I found I get better results by fusing to the fabric first & then cutting to the correct size.

4) I did a practice block using heat 'n bond lite but it still seems a bit stiff to me, what other products do y'all recommend? Almost anything. Pellon 805 (Wonder Under) would be better. Misty Fuse is the best. Also, I "window" my fusible before fusing it to the fabric. Just cut away all but 1/2" from the edge. Here's a YouTube video of Pat Sloan demonstrating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_m84NtcyUk

I haven't totally decided if I want to go w/fusible but these are questions that came ot mind while practicing on a block. Today I plan to try the freezer paper method using spray starch and then hand sewing the applique...that will probably result in yet more questions so thank you for being helpful and patient w/me.

Jenna[/QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2017, 04:51 PM

I use the blanket stitch on mind and I did use tissue paper on the back for a stablizer. I also have a lock stitch on my machine. Good luck with your applique.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies, I am enjoying reading them and learning. I have done one test block that I will post pics of (once I get it taken) to show my "problem" areas.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM

You should not have to use a stabilizer because you are sewing thru multiple layers and they have been fused. You do not have to backstitch (I sew a couple stitches over the beginning stitch). Mark your circles and shorten your stitch and you should have a nice circle. After stitching, cutout the center of the fusible. You only need an outer edge to fuse down the applique and then it will not feel stiff. I used to do the turn edge and avoided adding appliques whenever possible. With this technique, I happily add them to lots of projects. Since it is fused, I do not satin stitch. Depending on the project, I might use a zigzag, but, more often I use a blanket stitch. With a bit of practice, I think you will find this is a great way to apply appliques.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM

If you are using a light stabilizer like Steam a Seam Lite, your satin stitching won't look stiff if you use narrow stitching and a fine thread like Mettler 60 or Aurifil 50. Mine is always soft and so irresistably velvety that everyone wants to touch it.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-08-2017, 08:39 PM

One thing I notice when using the fusible and then a zig zag is there is still a small amount of fraying. From distance it is probably not noticed, but up close it is. Is this normal? That is the only reason I have considered doing the satin stitch.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 PM

Yes, that is normal. The farther apart the stitch, the more it will fray with handling, use or laundering.