Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing HST layout and some more questions... >

Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Default Choosing HST layout and some more questions...

Hi everyone,

I'm sewing a baby quilt for a friend's daughter, but I can't decide about the layout. Please, help me... what do you like the best?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532945[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532946[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532947[/ATTACH]

Another questions:

- There are some color combinations in the HST units that are not the best: is it too late for unsewing and redo? (They are all trimmed now...)
- If I finally choose the option 1, how could I quilt it? Since I haven't got a quilting foot, I thought I would do straight lines with the walking foot, but there are 2 different designs (square in square and pinwheels), so I don't know how to do it... simply SITD?
- I'm afraid the quilt will be a bit too small. I didn't plan to add borders, and I don't have more fabrics in the same style. Would you add a narrow sashing between the blocks? If yes... what colour? Solid white? I'm not sure I like it... has anyone more ideas?

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails hst-3.jpg   hst-1.jpg   hst-2.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 12:09 PM

My thought is if the HST's are all trimmed to the same size then use them. No need for any re-doing. Personally, I like the pinwheel setting better. Try setting everything in pinwheels and see what you think.

Consider adding a 1" sashing in a white that will match the background as much as possible.

Good luck!

As for quilting, try straight 1/4" stitching.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:22 PM

I think the first one is the prettiest. Since it's a baby quilt I think I'd just do a nice SITD, or, if you want to get a bit more creative, do a cross hatch.... that always looks nice. I think I'd also add a small border or two..... maybe the inside one in white to frame it and then the outside one in strips of the colors that are in the blocks. I just noticed that in the second row from the bottom you have two yellow squares right next to each other.... you may want to move one of them around a bit.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:27 PM

I'm very attracted to the pinwheel blocks. Sashing in white would be nice and simple SITD quilting would do. Adding a border would make it bigger. Love the half square triangles.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Thank you, thank you.

I tried to set everything in pinwheels, but there's no good contrast in some of the HST (that's the reason I wanted to redo), so I was no pleased with this layout...

I'm going to try the white sashing, then. And I will SITD.

I just noticed that in the second row from the bottom you have two yellow squares right next to each other.... you may want to move one of them around a bit.
Good appreciation, I will move it

P.S. I liked the second and third layout the best (I love scrappy look), I surely would choose one of them if the quilt was for me... but since it's for another person, I thought it would be better to ask you. So glad I did it!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM

I think putting a white sashing in would help make the colours stand out and be friendlier with each other if that makes sense.........your eye would be viewing each HST more individually. I also think pinwheels all over would look beaut and if you are concerned about it being too small I would add 2 borders to it.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

There is something that makes the pinwheels so very cute. Good Luck. Adios.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Pinwheels are always winners when it comes to baby quilts.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Same here with the pinwheels. Love your fabric. I vote for pinwheels.
Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
My thought is if the HST's are all trimmed to the same size then use them. No need for any re-doing. Personally, I like the pinwheel setting better. Try setting everything in pinwheels and see what you think.

Consider adding a 1" sashing in a white that will match the background as much as possible.

Good luck!

As for quilting, try straight 1/4" stitching.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:07 PM

I'm so surprised that everyone voted for the same option... I wish I could see the things so clear! Many thanks, I really value your point of view

Well, I set everything on pinwheels, and this is the result:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532965[/ATTACH]

I've always seen the pinwheels with white background, maybe it's the reason I wasn't sure about this layout. I like almost every block individually but, when I put them together, I am in doubt...

And now: Do you prefer the option 1 (pinwheels alternating with square in square) or the option 4 (only pinwheels)?

If I can't unsew, I think I will have to remove some blocks (the one in the middle of the bottom row, for example). Anyway, tomorrow I'll look at it with sunny light.
Attached Thumbnails hst4.jpg