Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
some newbie questions lol >

some newbie questions lol

some newbie questions lol

Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
For Hand Quilting I use #10 John James needles. For hand sewing like binding or applique I love straw needles size 10. they are longer and very thin. My blade gets changed when it starts skipping threads in the fabric. I also replace my board about every year as it will dull your blade if it starts to have grooves etc. in it. I do turn it over and use the back of it too.
I didn't know about the board dulling the blades--thanks for the tip!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Pam

Good tip about using the back of the board, you paid for that side, too!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I learned on the QB that I should rotate my blade before changing to a new one. It extends the life of the blade a bit. I also have a blade sharpener which is not the best tool in the world, but it allows me additional time on the blade.

YOU'LL KNOW when it is time to change the blade and I would recommend changing it BEFORE the skipped bits drive you nuts.

As for needles, I know there are guidelines, but I usually use what works for me and sometimes I use what I have at hand.

BTW: no silly questions at all.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

When I start to have trouble cutting I change my blade. I wait til they are on sale and buy multi packs then. I use the same type as my cutter. I try not to hand sew much so I can't help with the needle question, but I'm sure someone here can.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 PM

I change my blade when it no longer cuts my fingers lol which I do quite often
Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM

I use a blade sharpener, after every long cutting session, say cutting out a whole quilt. It seems to keep my blades sharper longer. Then when it starts to get harder to cut I know that it is definitely time to change the blade. When I first started quilting, I rarely changed or sharpened my blades, and I actually ruined my handles by wearing grooves in the metal bar that holds the blade in place, so eventually the blade wouldn't even rotate. Isn't that terrible. It sure is a lot easier to keep a sharp blade. My shoulders sure do thank me.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Before you race off to Joann's for cutter blades on sale, my cousin checked out E-bay and got me a 5-pack of Olfa 45mm for about $9.00 - yes, a 5 pk! Brand new in the package!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Hey, you have to remember, we've all been there!!

1) I use a 45mm. When I start getting drag I'll use this little sharpener gadget that I got. Its a blue circle and it'll sharpen my blades for me to get some more use out of. Actually, someone posted a really nice blade sharpener at Nancy Notions that I'm really interested in. You just run your blade through it and it sharpens it. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...e+sharpener.do

2) for handquilting I use a between size 10. This seems for me a good size.

You need to realize that in some circumstance what may be good for me, won't be good for you. Sometimes its just trial and error to find out what works for you.
Anybody tried that one? (Nancy's Notions)? Or has anyone had success with any of the others? I tried the little blue circle thingy but had no success. I tried the USA sharpener by Orbital Rotary Blade Sharpener and it was moderately successful but with E-Bay prices I'd rather use a new blade when starting a beautiful new quilt.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM

ROFL....
by the looks of it, i should have not only asked but changed my blade a couple weeks ago lol

im so slow sometimes lol
and thanx for another excuse to go hunt ebay lol :D
so far my use of needles for handsewing is... i got a big pack of assorted sizes, and use whichever are small enough not to gouge ugly holes but with eyes big enough to see lol... just wasnt sure if i was supposed to be using a specific size lol
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM

One thing I've noticed is that I need to pay attention to my cutting mat. When I'm cutting alot of strips or pieces the same size, I tend to cut over and over and over on the same 'line'. It eventually gets a rut and the fabric doesn't cut well no matter how sharp the blade is.

By the way, what exactly does 'self-healing' mean with regard to these mats? I've tried several different ones and I don't see any self-healing going on!!