Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Brainstorming

  1. #1
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Hey guys. Would you help me brainstorm? I signed up for a round robin a few days ago and yesterday my Dad called to chat. He said he's been doing some soul-searching and requested I make him something that says or shows "Calm Energy."

    So that's what I'll do for the center of his quilt for the round-robin. I'm still brainstorming about how to show calm energy.

    When I interviewed him today about it, he said red isn't calm, but grey is stagnant. He said he likes royal purple, if it isn't done so it looks too girly. There's a picture that reminds him of calm energy which is of a bird singing on a rock during a storm... but he doesn't want me to do that because it reminds him of mom (who passed on 12 years ago) and that makes him sad.

    He wants calm energy for himself because he feels either calm or engergized most of the time... not both. He can be really productive and run himself into the ground or he can be calm and get very little done.

    He's overweight and used to be a cross-country runner so I thought of doing something with that, but I don't want him to feel badly about where he's at and who he is right now.

    I'm sure I'll come up with something great, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. It's nice to be able to talk about it with quilters.

    Oh and I can piece, applique, etc. So the design doesn't have to be something easy. If need be, I'll learn a new technique. After all, this is for my Dad.

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just a thought, but if this is a Round Robin, will the other members be able to carry out the "calm, energy" theme throughout the quilt? It will kinda be out of your hands once they start adding on to it. Their idea of this theme may not be the same as you and your dad's.

  3. #3
    Super Member drivingsusan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S Oregon
    Posts
    1,021
    Just thinking here....how about in the center "the Thinker"...{the statue} and then surrounding that any number of the things your Dad likes to do...(busy things).

  4. #4
    krlowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Escondido, CA
    Posts
    66
    Goodness that is deep. When I think of calm energy the first thing that comes to mind is the sea. Not when it storms but you know how the waves come to shore and then go back out. It is a very soothing sound but there is so much strength in those waves, constantly moving, changing the shore, churning the rocks, shells and glass until they don't resemble what they were and making them smooth and soft.

  5. #5
    Super Member JudyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wickenburg AZ
    Posts
    2,849
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcslowe
    Goodness that is deep. When I think of calm energy the first thing that comes to mind is the sea. Not when it storms but you know how the waves come to shore and then go back out. It is a very soothing sound but there is so much strength in those waves, constantly moving, changing the shore, churning the rocks, shells and glass until they don't resemble what they were and making them smooth and soft.
    I think of the sea also. My thought was to do the center (not sure how big your center of the round robin has to be) in a storm at sea pattern (my avatar is a variation called "stars at sea"). It is one of my favorite patterns because you can really see movement in the blocks. I think it would be a great beginning for a round robin.

  6. #6
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    What about an island in the middle of the water (with waves) and some trees that are slightly bending signifying the wind, with clouds, etc.? You could incorporate all kind of stuff like rocks, boulders, whales, dolphins,etc.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    The color "Sage Green" is very calming. Behr even has a color called "Restful", which is a sage green.

  8. #8
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...16054132MXNOLv

    Check out that link.......maybe something on the order of that in his colors?

  9. #9
    mosaicthinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Melbourne. Australia
    Posts
    303
    If you are willing to draw inspiration from the Buddhist religious tradition you might like to do a search on mandalas. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the words 'calm energy.'

  10. #10
    Marjpf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    1,915
    I think of windmills in a field of wheat. Not easy to do, but there's my two cents.

  11. #11
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is a book called "Calm Energy"

    Maybe the picture could be adapted in some way.

    http://books.google.com/books?id=yl-...page&q&f=false

  12. #12
    Super Member Kathy N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,008
    What about a lighthouse, with the calm sea around it. The lighthouse light could be lit. You could bring blues and purples into it to give him his masculine colors.

  13. #13
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Just a thought, but if this is a Round Robin, will the other members be able to carry out the "calm, energy" theme throughout the quilt? It will kinda be out of your hands once they start adding on to it. Their idea of this theme may not be the same as you and your dad's.
    Yes it'll be up to them to add to it, but I'm more concerned about the center I'm making for it right now. They'll add to the center, so that sets the tone for the whole thing. Plus if I name it "Calm Energy" and let them know it's for a man, that influences their choices of what to add too.

  14. #14
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingsusan
    Just thinking here....how about in the center "the Thinker"...{the statue} and then surrounding that any number of the things your Dad likes to do...(busy things).
    That might be cute. It certainly is calm and reflective, and happy. Not sure it's energetic though.

  15. #15
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcslowe
    Goodness that is deep. When I think of calm energy the first thing that comes to mind is the sea. Not when it storms but you know how the waves come to shore and then go back out. It is a very soothing sound but there is so much strength in those waves, constantly moving, changing the shore, churning the rocks, shells and glass until they don't resemble what they were and making them smooth and soft.
    Hmmm nice idea. I was also thinking about something with the sea... as long as it doesn't resemble too much that painting my mom loved.

  16. #16
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    What about an island in the middle of the water (with waves) and some trees that are slightly bending signifying the wind, with clouds, etc.? You could incorporate all kind of stuff like rocks, boulders, whales, dolphins,etc.
    That sounds beautiful. Definately calming vacation type image with lots of energy from the wind too. Something to think about for sure.

  17. #17
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyG
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcslowe
    Goodness that is deep. When I think of calm energy the first thing that comes to mind is the sea. Not when it storms but you know how the waves come to shore and then go back out. It is a very soothing sound but there is so much strength in those waves, constantly moving, changing the shore, churning the rocks, shells and glass until they don't resemble what they were and making them smooth and soft.
    I think of the sea also. My thought was to do the center (not sure how big your center of the round robin has to be) in a storm at sea pattern (my avatar is a variation called "stars at sea"). It is one of my favorite patterns because you can really see movement in the blocks. I think it would be a great beginning for a round robin.
    Love your avatar. I'll look up storm at sea patterns.

  18. #18
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    The color "Sage Green" is very calming. Behr even has a color called "Restful", which is a sage green.
    I love that color too.

  19. #19
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...16054132MXNOLv

    Check out that link.......maybe something on the order of that in his colors?
    Wow that's beautiful. Definately would make a unique looking quilt. I'll look into fractal designs some more.

  20. #20
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
    If you are willing to draw inspiration from the Buddhist religious tradition you might like to do a search on mandalas. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the words 'calm energy.'
    http://home.worldonline.co.za/~samw/mandala.jpg

    There's one I found that I like. Not sure it'd be the same with the colors Dad's looking for. What do you think?

  21. #21
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    What about a lighthouse, with the calm sea around it. The lighthouse light could be lit. You could bring blues and purples into it to give him his masculine colors.
    I think I like this idea best of all so far.

  22. #22
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I think of windmills in a field of wheat. Not easy to do, but there's my two cents.
    That's a great idea. Kindof like the lighthouse thing without being so close to the painting that makes Dad remember mom. I'd have to find some awesome fabric or do some embroidery or both to make everything have great movement.

  23. #23
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Here is a book called "Calm Energy"

    Maybe the picture could be adapted in some way.

    http://books.google.com/books?id=yl-...page&q&f=false
    Yeah, I like it. Dad used to be a runner so maybe I could do somebody running through the woods. Calming surroundings, energetic activity. Or maybe I could still do the sea or wheat themes and have the guy running on the shore or through the field.

  24. #24
    Super Member karielt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,070
    My calming place is in the mountains on a horse. But I like the Idea of the ocean too. Cool colors are calming colors also
    http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/color/a/symbolism_2.htm

    I love the Idea a theme quilt how fun.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am anxious to see this creation when it is completed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.