Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Something to keep nervous hands busy

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltMania View Post
    That would be a very good idea. You could also try this: Sew 2 small squares together like you would if you were making a pillow (felt works well for this). Leave 1 side open and turn to the right side. Tuck about 1/4 of the open side over so you won't have raw edges for the next step. Starting at the open side, sew a curvy line throughout the square. Move over about 7/8 inch or so and sew another curvy line following the path of the line you just sewed. Basically, you are making a track. You can make it as simple or complex as you want. The track should start and end at the open side. Drop a marble into the track. Topstitch the open side closed. Now you have a small "fidget" for your stepson to take with him. To use it, he just moves the marble back and forth along the track. I have seen this work well with many of the autistic kids I work with.
    Great idea for any child who needs to be entertained.
    Linda

I don't know if this would be of any help, but it possibly could. It is actually a quilt for patients with Alzheimer's, but
    maybe making squares with different parts of the quilt for keeping his hands busy.

http://figjamandlimecordial.com/2011...nsory-blanket/

My autistic son is 19 years old. You would not believe what his current fidget item is. Anyway, I think you should try your idea.

My son spent many years with Silly Putty in his hands. It really does help to calm them.
    "Every positive thought is a step in the right direction.

I think it's worth a try. Sure can't hurt and it's very thoughtful of you to think of it. Let us know how it goes!

Blog Entries
    The loose threads don't make him nervous, the world does and pulling threads is as good a way to deal with it as any. I think you have a good idea. I just wouldn't use so strong a decorative stitch that it won't come undone. That part may be soothing to him.

Hugs to you as you care for him and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Great idea for any child who needs to be entertained.
    You could always try one of these to see if he found it soothing and something with thread also to see if he has a preference.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    My autistic son is 19 years old. You would not believe what his current fidget item is. Anyway, I think you should try your idea.

My son spent many years with Silly Putty in his hands. It really does help to calm them.
    I had some therapeutic putty ( seemed a lot like Silly Putty to me - different colors had different resistances ) and I LOVED to play with it.

lbc
    Sounds like a great and very thoughtful idea. Good luck - I hope it works.

Ask his teacher or therapist, they probably have taken data about his picking at things and how it effects his anxiety level. As a speech pathologist, I have seen some behaviors that are soothing and some that increase anxiety. Heavy blankets and clothing are often very soothing, so creating a thick quilt might be a great idea. Good Luck.

I think you have come up with a wonderful idea. go for it!
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast