Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sorry for asking so many questions...... >

Sorry for asking so many questions......

Sorry for asking so many questions......

Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM

I have another question, please. Is it easy to learn to operate a longarm? And what would be the cheapest price to buy one.? Thanks again cheryl
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Price depends on the size and the brand.
Mine was very simple to learn to operate, but it takes practice to learn to freemotion. Some draw on the quilt, but I do it all without a pattern--which for me I had to practice.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM

I've had a longarm since summer. Before that I had a mid-arm and just did meandering. I actually had more trouble learning the computer portion of that longarm than I do with the freemotion. I posted a pic called "Take 5 quilt that I quilted"....I drew the curved crosshatching and feather designs in with a water soluble pen. I have to - just can't do it otherwise. The flower in the center of the blocks is totally freehand...no drawing. Check with your local dealers and see if anyone will let you "play" with a machine in the shop -- ours has them set up for demo purposes. Or look for longarm conventions in your area.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

You need to try them out and see which one feels right for you. And then practice and then practice some more.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Please don't be sorry for asking questions! That's how we learn here!! So many people with tons of wisdom on any topic you can think of !!! :D:D
Sorry, I don't know anything about long arms but because you asked I may find out!! :D
Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Banned

We can't learn unless we ask questions, so feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

As for longarms. I have had mine since Nov. last year. For me learning the basic functions of its operation was easy. Learning the computer program was easy. Free motion takes practice. Doing the fancier stitches really takes practice, but you can draw them out and just follow the lines.
To practice the designs draw on everything - paper, white erase boards, the dust on the furniture, the steamed up mirrors, or even just 'air' draw.

As for price - it depends on what all you want included, what size you want, what size frame you want(have room for) and if you want a computer system with it, or just do all free motion work. Find a show where there are several different brands and test drive them. Ask questions.

PM me if you have any questions. Check out the work I've done on some of my earlier posts and the work of others.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 01-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Questions are great that is how we all learn so I say ask away!! You should never be sorry for asking them!
Here is my 2 cents.. I bought a longarm machine this summer after much research on the topic. There are a few thing that you should keep in mind as you explore your options on this. What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to quilt your own quilts or are you starting a business? Myself it is for a business. Do you want it to be computerized or free motion. I would assume if it is a business you want the computer.. And last but not least and I think this is the most important or all questions how willing are you to learn on your own. By this I mean everything from loading the quilt to trouble shooting the machine...
You can buy a Gammill this comes with everything including set up and training classes. After 4 days you will know everything there is about it. They are top of the line in my humble oponion BUT this comes with a huge price tag...
Your next option is to take a huge step down which is what I did and buy something like the Tin Lizzie with Shirley Stitcher. My machine will do everything the Gammill does for about half the price again there is a but..... My Lizzie came with nothing.. no set no training classes no nothing.. It also came from a local dealer that I don't think can even spell Lizzie let alone tell me how to fix it.. I had lots of problem getting up and running. My hubby is a very mechanical type of guy and it was rough for him.. I have managed to find chat rooms that have been helpful but most has been trial and error.. The best I can say is I now know my machine inside and out and am pretty confident there isn't much I can't fix. When I am done with a quilt it looks just as good as anything I have ever paid for on a Gammill. So I really do love my machine.
With anything you start that is new there is always a learning curve. Be prepared. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Make sure you know of a support system that can help answer questions. And most of all make sure you know it's going to take you time to learn this. I thought I would open the box set it up and just like that I was going to make quilt that looked just like what I was accustom to paying for.. Not so much. My first quilt well lets say it has a face only a mother could love. But 6 months in and mine are as good as anything I have paid for. With everything it will just take time. Sorry I have been so long winded but I sure hope I was able to help..
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Poodlepaws, that was a fantastic post!! It will benefit so many of us. THANKS!!!!!!! :D:D
Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a computer because there is simply no way that I could have purchased it. I enjoy the free motion quilting and I have only used one panto. A dealer came over 100 miles to set up my Fusion and have it running correctly(NO COST). He knows what he is doing and anytime I have a problem, it is answered as quickly as possible by them. I even called HQ in Salt Lake City and asked about prewound bobbins and they were wonderful. The individual that answered the phone didn't have the answer, but it was less than 30 minutes when one of the HQ educators called me back with the answer. I love their customer service!!!!