Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Spray Starch Applique -- have you tried it?

Spray Starch Applique -- have you tried it?

Has anyone done one of the spray starch applique methods? How successful were you and what problems did you run into?

Here are some sited that I found:
    http://www.pieceandquilt.com/2009/11...-tutorial.html
    http://www.sewmamasew.com/2011/05/ea...m-fig-tree-co/

Looks interesting.
    Thanks
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I have used the 2nd method many times. My only suggestion is to use 2 layers of the freezer paper shapes. Just iron 2 pieces together before cutting the shapes so the piece is more sturdy and will last longer. I use a small stencil brush and cover my ironing board with a piece of white canvas. One other thing. Did you know that freezer paper shrinks? Before cutting it into the shapes, mist the large piece and iron it like you would a piece of fabric. You can watch it shrink up! Better than having your shape shrink! I learned this info from a class with Sharon Schamber

Blog Entries
    I use the second method a lot as well. As snipforfun said use 2 layers of freezer paper, and I also use the clover mini iron, on small pieces.
    This is an applique I am working on at the moment, I couldn't have done it without this method.
    Affairs of the Heart, my first 16 blocks completed
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    Yes, the mini iron for those small pieces!

Thanks!! WOW Woody -- that quilt is beautiful!!!
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I always use the second method and a mini-iron, too. And a stiletto or chopstick to turn the pieces. I finally learned to lay an old piece or two of muslin down on my board, because all this heavy pressing turns the board brown from the starch. I also learned that you need to cut the pieces out accurately - any little dips or nicks in the freezer paper WILL show up on your finished piece.

another vote for the second method- I too use my little clover iron for small pieces & double my freezer paper---I often cover my ironing board with parchment paper instead of canvas- but have used fabric on occasion- doesn't matter what you use- you just don't want the starch to build up on your ironing board cover- so, protect it with something.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    ... Did you know that freezer paper shrinks? Before cutting it into the shapes, mist the large piece and iron it like you would a piece of fabric. You can watch it shrink up! Better than having your shape shrink! I learned this info from a class with Sharon Schamber
    I did not know this... thanks.
    Nancy in western NY

This is a good technique and thanks for sharing on the double freezer paper, I can try this out on a piece I am working on. I have been wanting to try another way aside from the raw edge, I like it, but even the very lightest weight of steam a seam leaves a slightly hard applique. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I recently learned the second method at a quilt weekend our quilters held, love it . thanks for the tip of the shrinking freezer paper will pass it on to my quilt members.
    Going to a lunch and stitch in today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast