Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Starch Applique -- have you tried it? >

Spray Starch Applique -- have you tried it?

Spray Starch Applique -- have you tried it?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 AM

I just learned something new....freezer paper shrinks. Good to know before my next appliqué project. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 AM

I use the second method to make hexies for my GFG. I've never done applique but have purchased some patterns recently, really want to get started. Your "From the heart" quilt is really an inspiration! Thank you for all the info.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 AM

I've never tried the freezer paper method, but I'm considering it on my next applique project. The method I've always used, that works for me is this: After drawing the shape on my fabric, I stitch along the line, and then I can press over the edges, just turning the fabric over the stitching. I've had good luck with this method, but I've never tried really small shapes... I go for the big stuff!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I use the second method a lot as well. As snipforfun said use 2 layers of freezer paper, and I also use the clover mini iron, on small pieces.
This is an applique I am working on at the moment, I couldn't have done it without this method.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t201992.html
Your Affairs of the Heart blocks are beautiful. I've only done 3, and I've been backbasting my blocks. I took a backbasting class and was told that I could fuse the background fabric to freezer paper (wrong side up), then run it through my ink jet printer to get the design on the back. With these small blocks, it was great not having to trace anything, and since I used a gray background instead of black, it worked out great.

I have never used freezer paper with this method. I took a class with Karen Kay Buckley, and she uses the mylar template plastic to make templates instead of freezer paper. This is good if you are doing a lot of the same shapes, because you only have to make one template.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM

Can't wait to try this.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 PM

I would substitute liquid starch for the spray starch since you spray it into a container and use it as liquid. This is readily available in the grocery aisle where the liquid starch is located.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by carol40965 View Post
I would substitute liquid starch for the spray starch since you spray it into a container and use it as liquid. This is readily available in the grocery aisle where the liquid starch is located.
The spray starch becomes like water as the foam disappears and soaks in much better than the thicker liquid in the bottle. Ive tried both.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 PM

[/QUOTE]I have never used freezer paper with this method. I took a class with Karen Kay Buckley, and she uses the mylar template plastic to make templates instead of freezer paper. This is good if you are doing a lot of the same shapes, because you only have to make one template.[/QUOTE]

I tried the mylar template but found it slid around to easily, and with the tiny pieces I burnt my fingers a lot . The freezer paper sticks to the fabric and you can use it more than one, especially if you don't wet it too much with the starch.
With the inner bits of the hearts, where you don't have any seam allowance, I just used the tiniest amount of Elmers glue to just keep any threads from unraveling
Old 07-04-2013, 03:07 AM

[QUOTE=maggiek;6157084]I have also used the applique foundation paper that washes out. It is ironed onto the back of the fabric and then rather than starching or gluing down the seam allowance, I can just attach the piece with a bit of glue or pin to the background and then needleturn the fabric under the foundation. It is thick enough to make a really nice edge. Then when it is washed, the foundation just dissolves so no picking out the paper. I tried the Karen kay Buckley method and while it is precise, it is a lot of labor. This works for me and gets a good result without all the pre work.[/QUOTE)

We have a septic system, and I'm just wondering how "safe" this method would be? I'd hate to have a problem because I'd used the washable...but it sure sounds like a dream. Anything that speeds up things so I can move to the next project! LOL