Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows???????? >

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 AM

I bought them and have never used them.
El Burns geese rulers are a must have for me.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 AM

I really am sorry some of these things don't work out... but I have to tell you I do find some comfort in knowing if those of you who are really above my pay grade in quilting have difficulty with patterns and rulers there may be hope for me yet...LOL
Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 AM

[QUOTE=patchy-at-best;6813319]I've bought her rulers and book and absolutely love love LOVE them!!! I've had no problems whatsoever, and everything matches up perfectly. If you've done the Texas Two Step and its still not right, I would think you haven't cut your strips the right size - if your centre square is over 5 1/2" you need to allow a little more in the width of your strips. Also, watch your pressing and seam allowance. I don't find the method terribly wasteful. Definitely no more so than the Go cutter. If you have another method you like stick to that one. Jodi's is definitely for me tho.[
Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 AM

I totally agree! I have several of her books and love the system and I am really not all that smart. As far as waste I will never live long enough to use half of what I have so i don"t worry about it.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 AM

[QUOTE=barney;6815260 As far as waste I will never live long enough to use half of what I have so i don"t worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Great philosophy...I agree!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 AM

Here's my quilt I made using Jodi Barrows' ruler. I love my country, and I love my quilt.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Has anyone bought her book and template? A friend of mine bought one and I really like the technique, but I'll be darned if we could match up corner blocks with flying geese. We double checked our cuts and after sewing the strips around the square, we cut exactly as explained using the 90 degree. Are we missing something or doing something wrong? Any advice sure would be welcomed...and thanks in advance.
I bought the book and ruler years ago. I didn't like the technique due to all the fabric waste and bias edges all around the edges..
Sharon
Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 PM

I attended a class by Jody Barrows and brought her ruler and one book. I, too, had some problems understanding the instructions. In the back of the book there is an eight hundred number to call with any questions you might have. I called and the lady was very helpful. Right now I am out of town and I don't have the book available as I amount of town. I hope that this information helps.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 PM

I took a class using the ruler a long time ago- didn't finish the quilt though it wasn't a bad technique that I recall. My friend did a border for her round robin using it and finished but hated the bias edges- she had to staystitch around her border and warned the next person about it being bias (they weren't thrilled). I don't remember the waste bothering me at the time - I dn't mind scraps since I like string quilts and scrappy quilts but not small pieces. I just didn't like the bias
Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
For me, nothing beats Deb Tucker's square in a square ruler.
Deb Tucker Rules! And her Wing Clipper is truly ingenious!