Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stab stitch needles?

Blog Entries

Stab stitch needles?

I was just reading Holice's post about a new book coming out that focuses on stab quilting. I went to amazon to check it out and came across these needles:

http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-Needl...+Hand+quilting

They are two sided, with sharp points at both ends and a narrow eye in the center!! According to Amazon, you don't have to turn the needle, which makes the quilting go faster. I'm completely blown away by this! Has anyone used these needles?

wow, okay, makes sense. glad both ends don't need to be threaded ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Wow - those are really cool. I'm also interested in the new book Holice mentioned, so these may be perfect to go along with that.

look intresting, but the shipping is more than the needles! Think I'll wait, I'm sure the postage in a well paded envelope with a ridged core is less by weight, They must ship in a box.

Blog Entries
    I tried them and I think they will work great if I could just get it out of my head that I DON'T have to turn the needle over underneath the quilt! I got lots of pokes, minimal bleeding and then just put my project away! I know that I will get them back out again someday and work a little more with them. I am a stab quilter, I just can't get that same size stitches, rocking motion down yet! I am just learning hand quilting and working on my very first project. I pull it every now and then.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I tried them and I think they will work great if I could just get it out of my head that I DON'T have to turn the needle over underneath the quilt!
    They certainly look like they would work, and it's a great idea.
    But I was thinking it would take a bit of getting used to, including changing the way one held and handled the needle.
    Thanks for confirmation (and warning). ;-)

As for the price, it's cheap enough.
    Hancock's has them as well. I'll add them to my next order.
    And I'm sure they'll eventually show up at Joanns.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I just can't get that same size stitches, rocking motion down yet! I am just learning hand quilting and working on my very first project. I pull it every now and then.
    I can get the rocking and the same size stitches but I have trouble getting my first stitch started.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Maybe these needles are what I need to be able to better my hand quilting. Or maybe I just need to practice more. I would certainly be willing to try these out if I can find them locally. John James usually makes good stuff so they should hold up. I also would like to try the Aunt Becky's thimble but haven't found one locally yet. Guess I could send for both though.

I have heard of them, I think it is a great idea, but I have never used them, and I am a hand quilter.

Blog Entries
    Is stab stitching and big stitch quilting the same thing? I'm starting to do hand quilting using big stitch. I decided to try it after reading a article by Joe Cunningham in "The Quilt Life", Feb/2011. Even that is hard, for me, trying to get the stitch and space even. Might have to give these needles a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast