Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stab Stitch Quilting

I would like to get some information about Stab Stitch Quilting. I have seen demos on TV and I have read a little about, but I have not been able to find anyone who uses this method. So, I wonder if anyone here has or does this type of quilting and how you like it. Thanks, Pam in WV.

Blog Entries
    that is how I hand Quilt I love it Though it is slower than the rocking the needle. But for the love of me I can't rock that needle. My wrist hurts to much.This way I don't hurt. And my stiches are a lot smaller.

I learned to cross stitch before quilting and can never rock, only stab. My stitches are almost always even.

Maria

When I tried stab stitching I had a hard time to keep my stitches straight. I guess it's like with everything, practice, practice.....

Blog Entries
    John James makes a needle designed especially for stab-stitch quilting. it has points on both ends and the eye is in the middle. they're very delicate and break easily, but once you get the hang of the method, you won't break them nearly as often.

you keep one hand under the quilt, the other over, and never have to twist either of your wrists to turn the needle toward the next direction.

i found it especially important to be working in good light with a clear view of the stitching line.

Here's a link to one explanation.
    http://www.quilttownusa.com/Town_Hall/experts.htm

Is there a video available to watch this process (those of you who are web browsers??) I just can't get a visual of what's going on with the stab method, and I would sure like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt4u
    that is how I hand Quilt I love it Though it is slower than the rocking the needle. But for the love of me I can't rock that needle. My wrist hurts to much.This way I don't hurt. And my stiches are a lot smaller.
    my sentiments exactly

It is more difficult to keep the underneath stitches straight. I have to stab stitch when I get into an area with lots of layers, in some seam areas. :?

What a relief! I am -da da - a STAB STITCH quilter!!!! I always kind of thought it was cheating, so had never admitted to it before. I could never get the rocking of the needle right, no matter how many videos I watched of experts doing it. I find that my bottom stitches are more consistent, and after awhile I can go along at a pretty good clip.

Thanks to all of you who are also stab stitchers. I have come out of the closet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast