Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch question >

Starch question

Starch question

Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM

I see a lot of people use starch. I bought some from the store, but have never used it because someone told me it was bad for the iron, and also that when it IS used for piecing, that there is a very specific way to do it.
IS that all true? How do you all use starch, and what kind? Mine I just got from Target. Its in a tall blue can, can't remember the name right now though.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM

I use Mary Ellen's Best Press starch ... simply the best, I think. After I pre-wash and dry my fabrics, I use this to stiffen up the fabric and I think it cuts better then. I've tried many different scents and they all smell great! It hasn't caused any problems with my iron either.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM

I am like you, I bought it but have never used it.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 AM
klc

I was never a starch user until recently. I tried Mary Ellen's Best and loved it, but can't afford it. I use a non-aerosol spray from Walmart, Niagara. Very inexspensive and works great. I like to lightly spray it on my fabric. It really does make it easier to get straighter cuts and seams. I also like it when appliqueing. I guess it's an aquired taste. If you search spray starch above you will gets many threads on the subject.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Power Poster

i've been sewing for 45 years---been using niagra starch from the grocery store...for 45 years
have never had it do anything to my iron.
if you want your fabric to have a (crisp) feel---makes cutting much more accurate---give it a spritz.
shake the can well-
spritz lightly (you can always add more if needed) let it soak in a few seconds ---and iron.
it is especially handy when working with homespuns/flannels- will help you have more accurate cuts-
and it washes out when the project is laundered-
just dont store fabrics for any length of time that have been starched- some bugs like the starch---
launderies have been starching our shirts for many many decades---it's nothing to be afraid of.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 AM

Someone just posted to turn fabric so back is showing and spray to eliminate chance of flakes on the front (flakes wash out or can be brushed away but are annoying). Also, warm fabric with iron, then spray. makes the starch absorb better. I have also read to spray, wait for starch to dry a bit, then iron to prevent flakes. Also read that if you use aerosol, sometimes it comes out in fits and spurts but that the nonaerosol is easier to control and sprays more evenly.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 AM

Been a starcher for years. I've progressed from the Niagra spray to the liquid that you can mix to your desired strength. Do like this much better as it is much more econimical and I can see how much I have left. I agree that it makes cutting far easier. I always wash my quilts upon completion/before gifting so any residue is washed away.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 AM

Oh, I agree with everyone here! :D It makes cutting pieces so much more accurate.

Some longarm quilters don't like quilt tops with starch in them because the needle makes the starch flake off into a fine white powder that gets all over the needle area. It's really a simple matter of just blowing off the machine frequently. The finished quilt can look so much better if the fabric was starched before cutting .... it's really worth doing it! :D
Old 08-11-2011, 03:54 AM

I use Faultless spray starch. I have used Mary Ellen's and liked it, but it is too expensive to me. I estimate how much of the fabric I need to cut and I spray all of it at once. I fold the sprayed fabic over and over as I spray then let it sit for a couple minutes (or longer if I am doing something else). This gives the starch time to soak into the fabric so I don't get flakes on the fabric or starch burned on the iron. If I get in too big of a hurry and get burned starch on the iron, it is not difficult to clean it off. I can sometimes get it off while the iron is still hot by rubbing the iron on the edge of my board. (May not be the best method, but works for me...LOL) After it is cool, you can clean it with a product made for cleaning irons or, from what I have heard, just white vinegar.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 AM

I swear by Mary Ellen's Best Press! I buy the large bottle (usually around $12) at Hancock Fabrics. I only get it when I have a coupon (usually 40% off or use a Joann's 50% off coupon) Makes it more reasonable. I just refill my spray bottle and I dilute it some so it isn't full strength. I have noticed NO difference in my starching from using full strength to using the diluted. It just makes everything so nice and smooth and I haven't had any trouble with flaking. I use it for everyday ironing also. The main thing is to get it when it is on sale or use a coupon!!