Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch question >

Starch question

Starch question

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Starch makes measuring and cutting pieces easier. Makes the top handle and look much nicer. I heavily starch my backing fabric before quilting it on my machine. The starch makes it less likely to have wrinkles on the back. JMHO
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

I use starch just about all the time. I get Niagara non-aerosol from the grocery store (Safeway). I like it because it doesn't flake as much some other brands do.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 AM

Okay, so use it when first ironiing, getting ready to cut. Glad I checked. Lol. I would have used it on each piece! Lolol!!! I wonder if here are fabrics that don't really need it? Like batiks? They are already kind of stiff...?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Okay, so use it when first ironiing, getting ready to cut. Glad I checked. Lol. I would have used it on each piece! Lolol!!! I wonder if here are fabrics that don't really need it? Like batiks? They are already kind of stiff...?
I've never starched batiks; doesn't seem to need any. Use starch before cutting on thinner fabrics...maybe I should use it more!

Just use a cheap brand of spray starch and I'm fine with it.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 AM

I like to use sizing at times too. Its a little lighter than starch but still leaves the fabric easy to cut. I use starch as well
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jenni M
I like to use sizing at times too. Its a little lighter than starch but still leaves the fabric easy to cut. I use starch as well
I just have to tell you that everytime I see your avatar picture, I think you have a red bandana tied around your head!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
I 'm a starcher from way back ... I starch everything prior to cutting. Starching batiks does have its benifits... particularly when working with bias edges , it keeps the stretch from being quite so stretchy... but some batiks still have some residual resist left in them and do not take up water/starch very well.'
For the best results in starching..... let it soak in....if its still on the surface of the fabric it will result in starch build up on the bottom of your iron.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 AM

I love the way starching firms up the fabric and makes cutting so much more accurate. If you are making blocks, cut them oversize first, then starch and cut to size. i.e. if you want a 10" block, cut it 10 1/2" then starch and cut to size. It's easier to starch smaller pieces than big pieces of fabric.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM

I starch -- keeps the diagonals stable and keeps me from making my blocks wonky. I have used Mary Ellen's Best Press, but it is way too expensive. I like the non-aerosol Niagra, but I may have to start making it from liquid like my Grandmother did if prices on everything keeps going up.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Ok, you've talked me into it! I'm going to try it. If remember. Lolol