Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starched scraps? >

Starched scraps?

Starched scraps?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

It is the type of quilt that the more you look at it the more you like it. Great job with the sashing.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:33 AM

I was told do not use starch if you store fabric. Silver fish will eat into the fabric since they are attracted to the starch.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:10 AM

I have never had a bug problem...however I no longer live in Louisiana...lol...I put all my starched scraps in zip lock bags...then you can throw them in an open container with no problem...also keeps dust off of them and you can label. I tend to keep scraps from a certain project like a quilt all together...don't know why except they are already kind of matched up if want to use them for something else. Most people keep them by color groups.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
your ironing board cover is washable-it can be removed and laundered
Not always. I washed one and the batt inside disintegrated. I had globs of gunk everywhere. Like washing a box of tissues. I now have a home made one that washes well.

Now I put freezer paper on my ironing board and change that if it looks too grungy. Fusibles will make it look like that.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryfrang View Post
I was told do not use starch if you store fabric. Silver fish will eat into the fabric since they are attracted to the starch.
If you make your own starch from corn starch then you may have a problem but StaFlo is so easy to dilute and has no properties that will attract bugs. You can use it as you go. Day one starch, day two cut, etc.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM

I use spray starch. I put oversized pieces on a towel on a table to spray. I let them rest for about a minute before taking them to my ironing board. There is not much buildup then. After they are ironed I cut them to the size I want.

I sprayed the pieces directly on my ironing board on my first quilt. It left a mess so I switched to a towel on a table.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:05 AM

I just love those colours and that pattern......so pretty!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM

Very pretty Reb!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 AM

I starch all the time with 50 starch/50 water put in a sprayer. I have a plastic dishpan that I used to control the over spray by putting my fabric in it to spray one side, turn it over etc. I then roll my damp fabric and put in a plastic bag and wait for the fabric to absorb the starch and then press. I use a piece of muslin over the ironing surface and then just either throw it in the washer when it gets too stiff and dirty or throw it away and use another piece.

I live in Florida where humidity and bugs are a given. I never have had problems with bugs in starched things and I store all sorts of starched scraps.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:56 AM

I live in Chicago & leave starched scraps in bags/bins indoors all the time without any issue at all. My ironing board cover says not to was it, so I just wipe it down with a wet rag if it needs a cleaning.