Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starched scraps? >

Starched scraps?

Starched scraps?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 AM

I starch all my fabrics before using, and have never had a bug problem. If I have scraps left over, depending on how much, they either go back in the drawer or in the scrap bin. I do believe that if you don't have a bug problem before using starch, you won't have one simply because you start using starch, my opinion.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I do what Tartan suggested, I iron on freezer paper. My ironing board is a large cover for a board made by June Taylor in the 90s. Not sure how well it would wash.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 AM

Down in Florida I wouldn't have thought to use starch due to the bug problem...........no matter how clean you keep your house those palmetto bugs (giant roaches) got inside your house. Up here in Iowa I find spiders in my basement from time to time but I read where you can use fresh basil leaves to allievate this problem. As I grow it in my garden I'd just grab a handful from time to time and hang it upside down in my fabric room. I don't see many spiders these days.........plus my kitty will alert me of anything crawling within her reach.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I use starch by the gallon. I starch my fabric stiff as paper before cutting it. Scraps don't wrinkle much that way. I've never had a problem with silverfish and they are in my area. Mostly around moist spots like floor drains.
One tip about washing your ironing board cover. Put it back on the board while wet. Let dry on the board. It will dry to fit the board and you wan't have to stretch or pull to put it on the board.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-29-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

When I know I'm going to use spray starch, I dilute StaFlo and water as I go. I use a flannel back table cloth and lay it across the surface I'm working on. Spray the pieces of fabric lay aside and let them soak it up a little. Then take them over to my ironing/pressing surface. I have hardwood floors in my room . Don't want to have that kind of fun. I have starched fabric scraps in plastic containers with lids. This is South Texas and roaches are a known fact. We keep them at bay and if they want to get in really bad, they will. My last episode with cardboard boxes was last time I used card board (file boxes) to store fabric. WEnt to open a scrap box and a momma rat gave birth. Let nature deal with that outside. No more cardboard storage for fabric.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I won't keep paper grocery sacks for reuse or cardboard for storage. Bugs love the glue used to make them. Paying one exterminator bill isn't worth saving those things. I reuse the plastic bags for many things. The paper ones go right in the trash.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:26 AM

I've only had silverfish when I lived in the San Diego area, and wasn't a huge problem then. I wasn't quilting then and they were in my linen cupboard.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Reb

Thank you all. Next time I will use starch and hopefully improve my accuracy. Thanks to my LQS for looking my project over and suggesting sashing. After I tried part with sashing and still went, "no, no, no". Thanks to my DH for saying, "You are too picky." My top turned out "okay". But, next time, ooh when can I start and get it right?! I wanted to post a picture but it won't upload. Thanks again! Oh, I tried one more time and there it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 01-29-2016, 01:54 PM

I like it Reb! Very pretty
Old 01-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Reb

Thanks. It's still far from done but it won't be scrap! Nor, a UFO!