Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starched scraps? >

Starched scraps?

Starched scraps?

Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 AM
Reb

Default Starched scraps?

I want to use starch after last quilt's disaster. I have Niagra. I understand the bug problem and washing the quilt. What do you do with the left over starched scraps? #2. Can I protect my ironing board from getting starched or doesn't that matter? Thanks for responding!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

your ironing board cover is washable-it can be removed and laundered if you get fusible or a starch build up on it. sometimes I put a piece of freezer paper over mine to work on/ protect it from starch, glue or fusibles.
I use starch A Lot. I've never experienced a (bug problem)
my scraps are kept in open boxes, shelves, baskets and rotated/gone through often so I don't worry about it. if they are going to be stored for an extended time I would not use plastic storage containers (totes) and would protect them from moisture/humidity. you don't show where you are---=but, if you live in a humid climate check your stash/scraps often.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:31 AM

Never heard of a bug problem with using starch. Does it have to do with your climate?
Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 AM
Reb

I should have said, upstate NY. I was just reading on the board that in particular silverfish are drawn to starch.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:53 AM

I use LOTS of starch all the time. My scraps are in totes/bins and drawers and rarely are touched once I am done with a project. I've never had an issue with any kind of bugs/silverfish. I use towels on my cutting table to iron. I refold periodically if the nap is getting really matted down and wash occasionally. Still no issues.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:56 AM

I've never understood the "bug problem" also. I think this is for people who have a huge stash and their fabric sits for years and years. I starch away and haven't had a problem.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:57 AM

I would think it would be more of an issue if you live or store them in a moist/humid environment, such as a basement.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 AM

As long as you play with your scraps fairly often and don't hide them away for a long time, you should be fine. I've never had a bug problem and I starch everything.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I am pretty sure the bug problem with starching only happens with home made starch made with corn starch. The commercial starch, such as stay flow and spray niagara have additives in them to keep them from going bad as home made starch can. I suspect these same additives don't attract silverfish, it probably doesn't give a chemical signal of food to them. I suspect the spoilage issue is one of the reasons why many home made starch recipes say to add vodka to deter spoilage, but this may also deter bugs. Additionally upstate NY does not have as high a potential of bug problems as the more temperate humid climates like the southeast.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 AM

I starch using Sta Flo starch to which I add about 2% water. I cover my ironing board with a towel when starching and sometimes put a bed sheet on the floor if I am starching very large pieces of fabric. Getting that starch off the floor is no fun. Both the towel and the sheet go into the washer when I have finished the day's starching. I have lots of starched scraps and, so far, I have not had any bugs. I do worry about the heavily starched tops I send to the LAQ as it sometimes takes her a year to return them. Fortunately, the returned quilts have been fine.