Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash

This may have been a topic before, but... do you all have nice tidy sewing rooms?. where do you keep your stash of fabrics?, do you ' hide' that new fabric, you just couldnt resist?? i have been buying boxes and baskets to organise my stuff.. labelled as well.. at least i can find things now... only got small space for my sewing.... :cry:

I only started maybe 6 months ago and I have to say - I totally hide the new stuff! I have a big 3 drawer rolling thing that is just packed full. When we painted the living room where I kept my sewing stuff, I thought the rollers were broken. DH reminded me it is becuase each drawer is stuffed full of fabric - and it's not light :)

Quote Originally Posted by elliemay
    This may have been a topic before, but... do you all have nice tidy sewing rooms?. where do you keep your stash of fabrics?, do you ' hide' that new fabric, you just couldnt resist?? i have been buying boxes and baskets to organise my stuff.. labelled as well.. at least i can find things now... only got small space for my sewing.... :cry:
    I keep mine out where I can see them, I have two shelf units in my closet, a shelf hanging on the wall and fabric laying on my cutting table. I can't figure out why some feel the need to "hide" the fabric they buy, unless of course it's for a quilt to be given as a gift.

There have been a couple of threads on this before.
    I have some really nice built in cabinets in my sewing room where I place my stash. I also have some rolling drawer carts for my fat quarters and scraps and then several clear Rubbermaid tubs in the garage for the overflow.

Blog Entries
    I can't sew in a messy place. I try to pick up and put items back in place as I go but that doesn't work all the time. I fold the fabric and find a place for it on my shelves. If it is for a specific quilt I put the fabric and pattern in a storage box and label it. I don't hid anything I buy. DH couldn't care less what's in my shopping bags. He knows he spends as much or more. A price of a football game ticket will keep me supplied in quilt kits for a long time. Sometimes a fabric will catch his eye and he'll say how pretty it is.

" nice tidy sewing rooms" --- HAH - I try, mom! I REALLY do -- the imps come in at night and mess it up -- REALLY!!!!!

Seriously -- I try, too, to keep mine clean, but in the middle of a quilt -- it's a MESS!

I keep my stash in plastic bins -- both shoe box size for small pieces, and big ones for yardages. We live in a dusty area so I like to keep them clean (and the cats insist on sleeping on them if left out)

I don't label -- I buy clear boxes....takes too much sewing time to get TOO organized!!!! Besides, when searching for one fabric, I'm libal to find something else totally interesting~!!!!

My room is a disaster, but my fabric is pretty well organized. Even after I clean the room, it only takes about 10 minutes, until it looks like a tornado went through it. My "excess" fabric that aren't in the cabinet drawers are in the big(55 qt. or bigger) plastic,opaque totes. I do try to have them organized as far as background colors, or fabrics.

nice, neat sewing rooms? what language is that?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    nice, neat sewing rooms? what language is that?
    and why would you talk that way to me? did I make you mad or something?

I try to keep mine nice and neat. Currently I am cutting my scraps to make a log cabin quilt so there are a lot of fabric pieces laying about. Cutting table is covered as well as sewing machine and cabinet. My housekeeper straightened it up a little for me on Tuesday.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast