Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Stitch Regulator Opinion, Please

  1. #1
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,649
    I have a short arm machine (Janome 1600P) on a Grace Next Generations frame. I've been reading lots lately about people not being happy with the short arm's narrow available quilting space. I can't get a longer machine right now, if ever, but I spent yesterday researching long arm machines anyway (just for fun). From what I saw, a stitch regulator seems to be pretty darn nice; Janome has a stitch regulator available for $499.00.

    I have not done much practicing with the machine and I'm not any good at quilting with it -- yet. I am wondering if having a stitch regulator on the machine would make a big difference or not so much.

    I appreciate whatever knowledge you share with me about it.

  2. #2
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,883
    In my opinion, is nice to have but with plenty of practice, you can do well without it. I have it for my Bernina. I have quilted for so long without it that sometimes when I use it it slows me down. My two cents worth.

  3. #3
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,103
    I do not have a stitch reg. and it is a long learning curve for me. I do have a 10 in. throat on my machine and it helps alot.
    The industry used to have a stitch reg. available but found they make more money by limiting it to longarms only. Im upsett over the greed that has been showing up in the quilting industry just since I started quilting 5 yrs ago.
    Even QNNTV used to be a free website for videos but Fons and Porter bought it and it now costs 24 dollars.
    Simply Quilts was a great show but now you have to pay for the website and it no longer is on TV.
    Sorry, but just had to vent.

  4. #4
    Super Member lisalovesquilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,540
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    I have a short arm machine (Janome 1600P) on a Grace Next Generations frame. I've been reading lots lately about people not being happy with the short arm's narrow available quilting space. I can't get a longer machine right now, if ever, but I spent yesterday researching long arm machines anyway (just for fun). From what I saw, a stitch regulator seems to be pretty darn nice; Janome has a stitch regulator available for $499.00.

    I have not done much practicing with the machine and I'm not any good at quilting with it -- yet. I am wondering if having a stitch regulator on the machine would make a big difference or not so much.

    I appreciate whatever knowledge you share with me about it.
    Janome doesn't have a stitch regulator. The only short arm you can get one with is Bernina. My friend and I tried it out at a LQS and were very disappointed. We both have Janome 6600's and found out they are so much better. With push button instead of foot peddle it is just as good (actually better) than a stitch regulator. The main point of a stitch regulator is to keep the machine going at a constant speed and when you move your hands the needle moves. It is still possible to get uneven stitches. If you use a knee lift lever it does the same job of stopping the needle when the presser foot is lifted. My advice would be to save your money until you can get a machine with a longer space.

  5. #5
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    I have a short arm machine (Janome 1600P) on a Grace Next Generations frame. I've been reading lots lately about people not being happy with the short arm's narrow available quilting space. I can't get a longer machine right now, if ever, but I spent yesterday researching long arm machines anyway (just for fun). From what I saw, a stitch regulator seems to be pretty darn nice; Janome has a stitch regulator available for $499.00.

    I have not done much practicing with the machine and I'm not any good at quilting with it -- yet. I am wondering if having a stitch regulator on the machine would make a big difference or not so much.

    I appreciate whatever knowledge you share with me about it.
    Janome doesn't have a stitch regulator. The only short arm you can get one with is Bernina. My friend and I tried it out at a LQS and were very disappointed. We both have Janome 6600's and found out they are so much better. With push button instead of foot peddle it is just as good (actually better) than a stitch regulator. The main point of a stitch regulator is to keep the machine going at a constant speed and when you move your hands the needle moves. It is still possible to get uneven stitches. If you use a knee lift lever it does the same job of stopping the needle when the presser foot is lifted. My advice would be to save your money until you can get a machine with a longer space.
    Yes, they do have one. Sew-Vac Direct and other sewing machine retailers offer it (with photos) for sale. The machine I want it for is the high speed 1600P DPX, made primarily to go on a Grace quilt frame. I have enough money to purchase a long arm machine, but refuse to do that until I can learn to use the short one (9" sewing space - possibly called a mid-arm) that I have with some degree of success.

  6. #6
    Super Member lisalovesquilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,540
    Went to the web-site. The stitch regulator is for the grace quilting frame not the Janome machine.

  7. #7
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,649
    Yes, the stitch regulator IS made by Grace ... for the Janome 1600P series, one of which I have ... on a Grace frame.

    To re-phrase my original question, does anyone know if this new Grace stitch regulator made for Janome 1600P machines is a particularly helpful tool to have?

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,396
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    Went to the web-site. The stitch regulator is for the grace quilting frame not the Janome machine.
    The stitch regulator is not made by Janome, but it is made specifically to work with the Janome 1600P machine. Quilter's Cruise Control is one company, which makes a stitch regulator for nearly every computerized sewing machine made, including Janome, Brother, Viking, Pfaff and others. You must purchase the correct regulator for your machine. There are differences in the internal programming and the plug ends. Grace Co. sells stitch regulators, also. I'm not sure, if Grace makes them themselves or are made by Quilter's Cruise Control and sold by Grace with the Grace name on them. I have one for both my Viking Platinum 755Q and for my Pfaff GrandQuilter Hobby 1200, which is made by Janome and identical to the 1600P.

  9. #9
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
    Went to the web-site. The stitch regulator is for the grace quilting frame not the Janome machine.
    The stitch regulator is not made by Janome, but it is made specifically to work with the Janome 1600P machine. Quilter's Cruise Control is one company, which makes a stitch regulator for nearly every computerized sewing machine made, including Janome, Brother, Viking, Pfaff and others. You must purchase the correct regulator for your machine. There are differences in the internal programming and the plug ends. Grace Co. sells stitch regulators, also. I'm not sure, if Grace makes them themselves or are made by Quilter's Cruise Control and sold by Grace with the Grace name on them. I have one for both my Viking Platinum 755Q and for my Pfaff GrandQuilter Hobby 1200, which is made by Janome and identical to the 1600P.
    Thank you. I would like to know if you like the one that you have for your Pfaff GrandQuilter Hobby 1200 ... does it make a notable difference in the ease of quilting? Does it indeed regulate the stitches? As you probably know, the 1600P has 3 speeds ... fast, faster, and even faster, so I would like to have a stitch regulator IF they are reliable.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    643
    I originally bought a Juki with the Grace Stitch regulator, and I now have a Bailey with a stitch regulator. I couldn't imagine trying to quilt without one -- with it, I was able to practice for just a little while (a pantograph, so basically the same pattern over and over), before doing my first quilt. With the stitch regulator you still have to try to work at an even pace, but it gives you a lot more room for error, and the results end up looking a lot nicer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.