Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer? >

Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer?

Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Default Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer?

Due to my recent knee replacement (both have been replaced now) I am thinking of using my Christmas $$ for a rolling stool to use with the long arm. I know sitting while long arming has it's limits--especially with pantos or edge-to-edge. I have fatigue mats, but am finding that I still can't stand long enough to do much work. With my first knee it took about 3 month before I could stand long enough to get much work done--and I don't want to wait that long! I'm thinking that a stool would allow me to work on the more detailed stuff. I have carpet like is found in an office so the floor is not super slick but a rolling chair should move with a little effort(but also not require me to hang onto the frame!).

My question is, do you prefer drafting stool with a back or one of the saddle seat(backless) stools? Why?

Thanks for your input--I plan to do some shopping Monday when I go into the city for Dr. appt.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 AM

I have a rolling chair with adjustable height, adjustable foot rest and a back that can lock in one position or if unlocked, will allow you to stretch and lean back in chair. I like the back because in between sets of quilting I take a rest, lean back and stretch my back/shoulders without having to get up or falling backwards. I am in my chair most times when quilting. There are some times where I have to stand but not too often. I really like my chair.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used one, so really can't advise. However, several people on a Yahoo group recommended a dentist's chair. If you do a search on eBay, you will find a variety of them, mostly under $100. Here is a link to the search I did:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...chair&_sacat=0

Where I live, I doubt I could find anything locally like these options for under $100!
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=quiltingshorttimer;7030394]
My question is, do you prefer drafting stool with a back or one of the saddle seat(backless) stools? Why?
I have a saddle chair I got off ebay. I love it but found that i would forget to scoot the chair and I would get up and be standing to quilt and then be surprised I was standing. But when I remembered to use it right I liked it. If you get one be sure to get one that raises to more than 25".
Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cmmcbride View Post
I have a rolling chair with adjustable height, adjustable foot rest and a back that can lock in one position or if unlocked, will allow you to stretch and lean back in chair. I like the back because in between sets of quilting I take a rest, lean back and stretch my back/shoulders without having to get up or falling backwards. I am in my chair most times when quilting. There are some times where I have to stand but not too often. I really like my chair.
your chair sounds wonderful--do you know the brand? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 PM

I bought the saddle stool one year down at MQS when it was in Kansas City. I've never really used it and I paid a LOT more for it than the one on E-Bay. I ended up raising my table way up and that pretty much took care of my back problems, which is why I purchased the chair. I just am more comfortable standing while quilting.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM

I bought a drafting chair thinking it would be good for intense micro stippling......now it sits in the corner like a decoration.....I'm standing, walking to roll up, adjust, put on clamps, trim sides, etc...... I don't have knee, back probs, So I work for two/three hours, break for 1/2 hr, then back.....but some have luck w/ chair.....
Old 01-03-2015, 04:32 PM

I think if you find it doesn't roll easily enough, then you could always put those plastic carpet protectors they use under office chairs down too (only if needed). You might be surprised how much effort it takes to push the chair, and it would be at an angle which might not be good for either knee. But the chair idea is a good one.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:35 PM

I personally would prefer an adjustable drafting chair. I have a regular office chair for piecing and love it. Actually I have two, one with arms and one without.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 PM

woohoo! After an appt. with my orthopedist yesterday, I bought a drafting stool--with back and adjustable footrest, at Office Max and my husband put it together last night. I sat this afternoon while working on an a charity quilt--and it worked fine! I do agree that you have to get up and down to roll quilt, and standing for the long, straight seam to attach quilt just makes sense. But it allowed me to get a quilt done, start to finish, 7 weeks after I had a total knee replacement. Don't see away for quilting a panto while sitting--but may try it--thanks so much to all you!
D
n
'

s
e
e