Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing finished quilts >

Storing finished quilts

Storing finished quilts

Old 04-22-2017, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltE;7809320]By chance do you have a spare bed that is seldom used?
If so, I would just put them one on

That is what I do. The guest room is not used very often. I put a sheet on top of the pile, so that I can freely use the surface of the bed for quilts in progress, etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:17 AM

My grandmother did that for each of her 12 grandchildren. She made them as we were born and gave them to us when we got married. Not to date myself but mine had hand embroidered state birds and flowers. It only had 48 blocks since Hawaii and Alaska were not states when I was born!!. She also made a set of hand embroidered pillow cases and put the quilt inside of the pillow case to store. One other thing she did was put our names on them. She passed away before everyone was married, but we knew which she had made each person by the names attached to them.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I picked up an empty cardboard carpet roll. I rolled a clean white sheet around it first and then piled several quilts on another sheet. I then rolled all the quilts onto the roll and secured the sheet ends like a giant tootsie roll. I stand the roll upright in a spare closet.
Great idea. I'll have to remember that because I'm also running out of space.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

my cousin has many quilts and she's still making them. She stores them everywhere so they can breathe. She has end tables/side tables with open shelving. She has them on her spare beds in the guest room. She has them for the many seasons and that's when she swaps them by season. She folds them across the top of her beds like runners but has them at the head of the bed and the foot of the beds. She has a couple ladders that she displays them on. She has a couple that lay across the back of her sofa. A couple wall hangings that are reversible and she interchanges those out by season also. She doesn't have hers in plastic. She has made pillows and if she stores quilts in pillows the pillowcase has a block of the quilt that's inside with the border. She also has a border like the one in the quilt. She has given many of her quilts away. So many ideas, I suggested she put them on Pinterest but she just was afraid people would be able to see the layout of her home. She has them everywhere but neatly stored.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 PM

I roll my finished quilts width wise. Then I make a bag out of fabric that fits the quilt with a drawstring opening. Leave enough fabric width wise so you don't have to struggle fitting the quilt in the bag. I'm guessing give yourself 10 inches width wise. I then make a label that attaches to the the drawstring end of the bag. This has worked really well for me. I then lay this rolled quilt with bag and tag on top of a bed that is not used very much. I have stacked at least 12 quilts in this manner. When I unroll a quilt, I never have a problem with wrinkles in the quilt.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 AM

I don't think the vacuum bags, being plastic, would be good for the quilts over time.

I buy pool noodles and cover them with muslin. Then I roll the quilts on them and stand them up in a closet. If the quilts are wider than the noodles, I put two together using archival tape and cut them to the length I need. The registrar at our state historical society said that the pool noodles are fine to use if you cover them with clean, washed muslin.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:13 AM

Mine are "stacked" on a spare bed, folded in pillow cases, folded at the bottom of beds, hanging on walls, and/or given away
Old 04-23-2017, 04:07 AM

No one has really answered your question. I live in a small house and storage is at a premium. I have used those vacuum storage bags for a variety of items. I once put some extra bed pillows in one. They flattened down and when removed they puffed back up with a little help. I don't think your quilts would flatten permanently, especially if you rinse them and then fluff in your dryer. It sounds as though you may be storing some of the quilts for a number of years until they are needed and I don't know what effect storing the quilts in plastic for an extended period of time may have on the material.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
By chance do you have a spare bed that is seldom used?
If so, I would just put them one on-top-of-the-other, and leave them be.
I really like this idea. I like storing them in pillow slips very well too.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 AM

I haven't done this but I've heard of people rolling quilts on swim noodles . They sell at Wal-Mart for 99 cents.
Oops just read back and saw that someone else had already suggested them!