Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Stitch on a Frame

Straight Stitch on a Frame

If you have or had a straight stitch machine such as the Juki TL2010, Janome 1600, Baby Jane, etc and put it on a frame, could you please share your Pros and Cons list? Thank you in advance.

I had a Viking mega quilter and now a brother 1500 on a frame. For me the pros are- no basting, just load on frame, takes me less time to quilt using pantos, it's fun. Cons - 9inch throat is limited quilting space, only about 5 - 6 inches,have to roll quilt more often, can't do a lot of custom quilting (maybe others are able to, not yet in my skill set). I use pantos so this is not a problem for me. I have one of the machines as a table top quilter for when I want to do custom.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

I have a Pfaff Grandquilter on a frame and it definitely makes the quilting process go quicker. I have not mastered FMQ custom designs, but mostly do a simple meander and some basic straight quilting and can quilt a lap size in a couple of hours. I need to learn how to do more detailed designs.
    Lori - MamaBear

Blog Entries
    i have a juki tl98q on a hinterberg stretch frame. the ONLY drawback is the short harp. by the end of the quilt, you only get about 4" distance for the pattern. otherwise, it's terrific!
    Nancy in western NY

I have two straight stitch only machines. Babylock Jane and Juki TL98 QE, both have 9" throats. I quilt on those with no room for a frame.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Besides short arm space threading is a hassle since you have to move the machine to the end of the frame.
    Bobbin replacing is a big hassle also. These machines are not made for a lomg arm frame.
    Mine was set up by a profressional and I have a stitch regulator and a lazer light on mine.
    My rods are big around also so even less space. I havent used it in over a year.
    I have the Baby Lock Jane and what a hassle to thread and hate the under the machine bobbin case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I have two straight stitch only machines. Babylock Jane and Juki TL98 QE, both have 9" throats. I quilt on those with no room for a frame.
    Do you prefer one over the other?

I have the Janome 1600DB on a grace GMQ Pro. I do mostly meandering or pantograph. I do not FMQ so this is set up is really handy. I can load the sandwich in a relatively short time. If I have to stop, I can leave it without having to worry about the quilt sandwich wrinkling. I don't have the strain of moving material around my small DSM which is also a Janome. On the con side, I wish I had a larger throat because there are a limited number of pretty 4 inch panto patterns. I compensate for the throat space by only meandering 4 inches so the designs aren't larger at the beginning of the quilt than they are at the end. Since I enjoy the piecing more than the quilting, this system works well for me.

Blog Entries
    I had the Janome 1600DB on a New Joy frame and was pretty dissatisfied. I was very limited in my quilt design choices due to the small harp space, as others have said you end up with only 4 inches. I ended up procuring a Hint frame and a Singer 201 that had been stretched to 18".

I had my Juki TL98E on a handiquilter frame. I eventually threw the frame away. I find the harp to narrow for quilting bed size quilts - which is most of what I do. You are really restricted in what design you can quilt since by the end yhou only have 4-5 inches that you can work with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast