Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stripes for Borders

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    How in the world do you join strips with a totally-directional stripe? Is there a tip here, ladies and gents? I have ripped and ripped. I always seem to be about 1/4" off. What am I doing wrong? Should I have cut it on the bias or would that help at all?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    How in the world do you join strips with a totally-directional stripe? Is there a tip here, ladies and gents? I have ripped and ripped. I always seem to be about 1/4" off. What am I doing wrong? Should I have cut it on the bias or would that help at all?
    One way to achieve perfection or as close as the eye can discern, is to lay your rows of fabric on top of each other so the ends overlap and the stripes match perfectly, then with your rotary cutter cut through both layers, 45 degree angle works well here. Remove the scrap pieces and sew together, you should have a perfect match and with the angled seam it shows less in the final product.

Blog Entries
    Do you mean how to match stripes? If so, what I do is to fold down and press 1/4 seam allowance on one piece, then when I get it lined up, I glue baste it and press it. Once it's pressed well, you can sew on the pressed line. It works well for matching prints also. I don't like piecing my borders, but when I do, I try to match them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Do you mean how to match stripes? If so, what I do is to fold down and press 1/4 seam allowance on one piece, then when I get it lined up, I glue baste it and press it. Once it's pressed well, you can sew on the pressed line. It works well for matching prints also. I don't like piecing my borders, but when I do, I try to match them.
    Nope, no gluing required. Pretend you are making a OBW (one block wonder). Cut your first strip of your stripe fabric the width you want. Then lay that over your other fabric till the stripes are lined up identically, cut the next strip, and continue this way till you have the length you need plus a little extra. Next you will unfold your strips to a single layer. Overlap an end of each of the first 2 strips enough that you can make a 45 degree cut, remove the scraps. You should be able to go straight to the sewing machine and sew these together. They should come out perfect if you lined everything up perfectly when cutting. Do one strip at a time till you have the length you need. Maybe this topic needs a visual tutorial. I can't do one today, but maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    One way to achieve perfection or as close as the eye can discern, is to lay your rows of fabric on top of each other so the ends overlap and the stripes match perfectly, then with your rotary cutter cut through both layers, 45 degree angle works well here. Remove the scrap pieces and sew together, you should have a perfect match and with the angled seam it shows less in the final product.
    Would you not need to allow for the 1/4" seam on each in order to keep the match?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Would you not need to allow for the 1/4" seam on each in order to keep the match?
    If you overlap it right, the allowance will be covered. If you get the horizontal stripes aligned perfectly then when you sew your angled seam, the other part is less noticeable if it is not perfect. Anyway remember you are going to be folding this for binding so you will have a very narrow stripe showing. Also, if you use the galloping horse idea, who is going to notice but the person who made it? :roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    they all must be cut exactly the same too. all widths should be the same look. then you should be able to match them when adding extra length and at corners when you miter. carefully.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    they all must be cut exactly the same too. all widths should be the same look. then you should be able to match them at corners when you miter. carefully.
    Thanks, nativetexan. I reread her post and realized she is doing a border, not binding. But the procedure would be the same. If you do the strips in the "stack n whack" method it works great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Nope, no gluing required. Pretend you are making a OBW (one block wonder). Cut your first strip of your stripe fabric the width you want. Then lay that over your other fabric till the stripes are lined up identically, cut the next strip, and continue this way till you have the length you need plus a little extra. Next you
    will unfold your strips to a single layer. Overlap an end of each of the first 2 strips enough that you can make a 45 degree cut, remove the scraps. You should be able to go straight to the sewing machine and sew these together. They should come ou
    t perfect if you lined everything up perfectly when cutting. Do one strip at a time till you have the length you need. Maybe this topic needs a visual tutorial. I can't do one today, but
    maybe tomorrow.
    that would be great. please do a tute

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    My kingdom for a tute