Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid sewing machine, it's Supposed to be my Friend >

Stupid sewing machine, it's Supposed to be my Friend

Stupid sewing machine, it's Supposed to be my Friend

Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

I'm jealous! I had to buy my treadle! Paid a pretty penny for it too - but it is in 'like new' condition - the cabinet had been restored and the machine runs like 'butter'....
can't beat the old machines... I have embroidery machines and serger, etc but I use my OLD machines to piece quilts - 301s - we had an 'all day sew' at the quilt guild and I took my black 301 (1951) - guess what, I was the ONLY one there with an old machine!

my hubby loves the 15-90 (1948) - it's in a cabinet and that makes a level surface for him for his very FIRST quilt he's working on....

my featherweight is a 1956, and I have a 'Godzilla' 66-18, 1948 in a cabinet, and a 401.... those last two are out in the shop where I have the Bailey set up for doing any sewing that needs done out there...

don't let any one tell you that you have to have a new fancy dancy machine to make quilts - great grandma sure didn't have all this electronic stuff that goes kablooie on ya!...

all the quilts I show on here have been pieced on these old machines..
not the treadle tho - I got it for sewing after hurricanes and no electric for weeks :wink:
Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
Aren't husbands great when it comes to those mysterious machine noises :) I just turn my machine over to mine and he fiddles, oils and cleans until it's nice and silent again. Saves me from shop visits!
I want a hubby like that lol. I do most of the tinkering in the house. Sewing machines are very annoying at times, turns me into a :twisted:
Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 AM

Oh Barb....I'm glad you got it working again. I know you would have gone thru withdrawals if you hadn't.
Hubby fixing machine? WOW!
Mine is not allowed to touch ANYTHING! He can fix submarines and that's it! He's not allowed to fix anything else.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 AM

Glad you got it working. What would you do with out it?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

So glad you got it working again. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to do something and the thing you are using to do it with...breaks. My DH has to follow me around with a tool box...I'm soooo glad he can fix ANYTHING!! :oops:
Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 AM

I have been putting a lot of miles on my machine lately, and it started objecting, too.

I wouldn't continue using the WD 40, but I'm glad it got things moving for you! I use sewing machine oil, 3-in-1 oil, or gun oil.

MOST of the time I use the 3-in-1 oil because it's cheap and we usually have it around. I use it on the hair trimmers and other metal things.

I also use a small paintbrush and very long-handled tweezers. The tweezers work well for getting at the threads that wrap themselves around inappropriate places!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Banned

oh man, don't that just beat all? i've been there before. By the the time you get it all done you don't feel like sewing anymore. I get worried cuz this is my second Brother and the first one I was told by the Viking Store that it was a piece of crap. BUT from others I talked to said he told them the same thing about their machines (not all Brothers) So if my machine acts up, I gotta take it 20 miles away to next town. I love this machine, Its soooooo easy to use, but i don't want to have to deal with that guy again. :evil:
Old 09-29-2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
I have been putting a lot of miles on my machine lately, and it started objecting, too.

I wouldn't continue using the WD 40, but I'm glad it got things moving for you! I use sewing machine oil, 3-in-1 oil, or gun oil.

MOST of the time I use the 3-in-1 oil because it's cheap and we usually have it around. I use it on the hair trimmers and other metal things.

I also use a small paintbrush and very long-handled tweezers. The tweezers work well for getting at the threads that wrap themselves around inappropriate places!
I have a small thin paintbrush that is great for getting lint out of tight places. It will fit in perfectly and just "grab" lint and out it comes! Just have to make sure you don't wiggle it around or something might "pop".
Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 AM

You're so lucky your hubby can fix your machine!! I had to take mine into the dealers last week to get a check up. (I bought it used on ebay) She is fine now but according to the repairman's list, she had extra thread everywhere!!! :wink:
Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

If you need help with your machines go to : www.howtomendit.com . Totally helpful ! I used it to get my singer working again . Write a detailed message what the problem is and they will e-mail you back . Annie

PS , Older machines are the best :-)