Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Substitutes for batting???

Ok - I've got some scrappy quilts "in the works" and was wondering what I could substitute for batting. I am just trying to be as frugal and "green" as I can be with these quilts.
    I have read that some people use flannel. I was thinking of cutting up & piecing together some old sweatshirts or towels.
    Has anyone done this before? Would it work? If not, why?
    Aprreciate your answers....thank you!

Blog Entries
    There are no right or wrong....use what works for you. Some have found flannel sheets at thrift stores or on clearance at the end of winter. I have seen thin blankets used also. Keep us posted on what you decide to use.

pab

Blog Entries
    How heavy do you need the quilt to be?I have used flannel,courderoy,jersey sheets and flannel sheets.I guess the towels would wash up Ok but might be heavy & take a long time to dry if you desire to wash your quilt..pab

I use Blankets in a lot of mine but Bath towels and Sweats would work also, go for it :D :thumbup:

I have used a blanket for batting. It worked real well.

I have also used blankets for the batting.

Blog Entries
    I've used flannel, ugly fabric, and cheap blankets bought at the dollar store. All worked fine for what I wanted. I didn't wash the flannel or blankets so they would crinkle after quilting.

I have used flannel and cheap blankets and they worked out just fine,the only thing the blankets seemed to make the quilt very heavy when wet,but still worked and would do it again.

I've used the packaged $6.00 blankets you get at Walmart around the holidays. Some are plain color and others have designs. Choose the plain ones,if it has binding as most do at each end, take it off...carefully if you want to reuse. It works great! Also used flannel which is terrific and had some cheap fleece, an ugly gray color but it worked really well for batting! Like erstan947 said above, there are no rights or wrongs on this issue. Whatever works for you. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    when you piece your batting substitute together, make sure it lays nice and flat. Cut the edges very straight and zig zag them together, not overlapping the sides :D:D:D

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast