Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Substitutes for batting???

Ok - I've got some scrappy quilts "in the works" and was wondering what I could substitute for batting. I am just trying to be as frugal and "green" as I can be with these quilts.
    I have read that some people use flannel. I was thinking of cutting up & piecing together some old sweatshirts or towels.
    Has anyone done this before? Would it work? If not, why?
    Aprreciate your answers....thank you!

Blog Entries
    There are no right or wrong....use what works for you. Some have found flannel sheets at thrift stores or on clearance at the end of winter. I have seen thin blankets used also. Keep us posted on what you decide to use.

pab

Blog Entries
    How heavy do you need the quilt to be?I have used flannel,courderoy,jersey sheets and flannel sheets.I guess the towels would wash up Ok but might be heavy & take a long time to dry if you desire to wash your quilt..pab

I use Blankets in a lot of mine but Bath towels and Sweats would work also, go for it :D :thumbup:

I have used a blanket for batting. It worked real well.

I have also used blankets for the batting.

Blog Entries
    I've used flannel, ugly fabric, and cheap blankets bought at the dollar store. All worked fine for what I wanted. I didn't wash the flannel or blankets so they would crinkle after quilting.

I have used flannel and cheap blankets and they worked out just fine,the only thing the blankets seemed to make the quilt very heavy when wet,but still worked and would do it again.

I've used the packaged $6.00 blankets you get at Walmart around the holidays. Some are plain color and others have designs. Choose the plain ones,if it has binding as most do at each end, take it off...carefully if you want to reuse. It works great! Also used flannel which is terrific and had some cheap fleece, an ugly gray color but it worked really well for batting! Like erstan947 said above, there are no rights or wrongs on this issue. Whatever works for you. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    when you piece your batting substitute together, make sure it lays nice and flat. Cut the edges very straight and zig zag them together, not overlapping the sides :D:D:D

My grandmother used to put old "sheet blankets" in some of her quilts. If you're not familiar with them, they were lightweight blankets.. sort of like receiving blankets only adult sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    My grandmother used to put old "sheet blankets" in some of her quilts. If you're not familiar with them, they were lightweight blankets.. sort of like receiving blankets only adult sized.
    You mean something like the light weight sheet type blankets you use at the hospitals. You can find them often at Goodwill or Salvation Army or even the thrift stores.

I'd be interested in hearing how this works for you. Considering that our ancestors used whatever they had available, including old stockings, fabric scraps & threads, ripped up newspapers, straw, feathers, horse hair and even dried leaves....I think your ideas will work just fine!

Oh boy! I am liking all the responses I am hearing so far to "just go for it". I have a stack of old sweatshirts and towels that have seen quite a bit of use. I think I can get a middle out of each stack.
    And - I am liking the idea of old flannel sheets (why didn't I think of that...duh..) and those "sheet blankets".
    More good ideas!
    amma - ty for the tip about zigzagging the edges together - Is that to prevent bulgy seams I take it??

A lot of my donation quilts to a local women's shelter and foster kids had blankets from thrift stores or yard sales. You can even use electric blankets, just cut a slit near the plug in and pull the wires out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippy

i got some of those one time,from some online army surplus shop..they worked great. and were $5.00. and that description is dead on..receiving blanket for adults!

Blog Entries
    old sweatshirts would not fray...but should work fine...make it very heavy. one thing to think about is the fact you have to wash and dry it...if you make it too heavy that task will be difficult and very time consuming. i know a lady who uses old towels for potholder insides and they work fine. recycle-recycle! as long as everything can be washed together it can be used together :thumbup:

Back in the old days when they made quilts just to keep warm, they used what they had. I recall one of my grandmothers quilts, a very heavy one, that when it started to fray, you could see that she had used an old wool blanket as the batting. They used what they had.

Goodwill and thrifty stores always have worn blankets that make great batting.

JJs
    Banned
    I picked up a bunch of the cheap fleece lap throws at WM last week - they are 50" x 60" and perfect for - amazingly enough - lap quilts.... a back and batting 'all-in-one'...

some were $3 and some were two for $5

and can be quilted or tied

My son had a dirty looking quilt for about 10 years that he loved. I used that inside his Christmas present...of course he doesn't know it YET!

Blog Entries
    one of my softest lap quilts was filled with an old matress
    pad I bought at Goodwill for 25 cents I would use them again

I've used flannel, also recycled blankets for utility quilts. The kids car quilts all had recycled blankets in them.

I have made hundreds of quilts with mattress pads, blankets, flannel sheets, fleece, etc. instead of batting. With limited income, batting is just too expensive, as I give the quilts away. Also, I tie them to save time,and for easier care for recipients, and that does not work with batting unless you tie very closely.
    If you are making poly knit quilts, you do not need anything inside or they weigh a TON!
    We use about 20 old electric blankets per year--it takes about 10 minutes to get all the wires out ,and I just zigzag the holes made to take out the thermostats.....they are usually about $1-3 each.

Don't forget about old mattress pads. They work well also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast