Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for quilting??? >

Suggestions for quilting???

Suggestions for quilting???

Old 09-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Default Suggestions for quilting???

I have finished piecing the set of placemats but they are NOT talking to me on how to quilt it. I have my Bernina 1530 to quilt them on. I have some nice rich gold color thread by Superior that I will be using. I bought the pattern, "Bargello Breeze placemat & table topper quilt pattern by Cut Loose Press" on eBay. It is printed on a piece of cardboard. THANKS for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails xmas-placemats.jpg  
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 PM

Gorgeous! Love the colors and pattern. It's not talking to me either on quilting ideas, sorry.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM

I don't know what your skill level is, or what equipment you will be using. But since it is Christmas, and you have snowflakes on the left, some type of snowflake or six-point star would be fun. You could use a vertical straight line as a "trail" and place your flakes/stars at random heights. If you want to go simpler, I would quilt in straight diagonal lines, following your piece lines from upper left to lower right, creating diagonal channels.

Your placemats are very pretty and elegant. I hope you find the perfect quilting solution for them.

Darren
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 PM

I think with the busy pattern it will be really difficult to see any fancy quilting. If you just want something to practice, I like the idea of the snowflakes. Otherwise, I'd keep it simple and go with a basic SITD, perhaps with an additional 1/8" echo. Anything more than that is likely to get lost. It looks really nice. I actually thought it was already quilted. Love the colors & how you arranged them!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Fabric is very busy...quilting won't show...either straight lines or meander....
Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Beautiful placemats. I think I would just go with straight diagonal lines, not SID. I think that would accentuate your fabric flow but not compete with it.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Must agree, the quilting isn't going to show much, but my first thought was a floral pattern something that has pointed petals like a poinsettia or stars.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:44 AM

Beautiful Fabrics!!! I think Feathers or Holly Leaves would be Beautiful for Quilting Please Post a picture when you are Finished I Love the fabric!!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:04 AM

Since you are using a Bernina 1530, which I also once owned ��, I would cross hatch them using a very long serpentine stitch. Using an air erase pen draw a diagonal line from corner to corner going both ways. Stitch on the line. Elongate the stitch until it looks pleasing to you, you may want to increase the width as well if you can. Then put your guide on your foot and stitch away! When finished it will give a waffled curvey look that is very appealing and interesting. I would make my lines 1" apart and probably use a walking foot if you have one. I did this on a table runner and everyone thought I did it on the longarm! Very simple but elegant when done. It would be really stunning with gold metallic thread! Be sure to post pictures when complete, they are beautiful!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the cross-hatching. Beautiful fabric.