Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions for quilting >

suggestions for quilting

suggestions for quilting

Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

While I don't mind poly batting at all, I agree with Bree that I would not use it for an infant's quilt, even something to just wrap up in occasionally for the following reasons:
Synthetics near infants could cause allergic reaction
Poly doesn't breath and infant can get too warm wrapped up in a poly quilt
and flammability issues.

I would go with a cotton batting, preferably one with no poly scrim.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Your quilt is beautiful, I agree with the cotton batting for the above reasons and I also think it would look better with cotton or wool batting.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Hi Carol,
Here's what I came up with for a possible design that could be done with less quilting (although I really like Peggi's quilt, too!):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554317[/ATTACH]
It looks like your hexies might be 4" so I did one of the heart-flowers with an extra row of smaller petals in it. Draw it out on your quilt & see whether you need some extra quilting in there (if they're 4", you almost certainly will). I put leaves to fill those white spaces -- be sure to leave room between the hearts to allow for those leaves to properly form (you know how I've learned that). Then 2" cross hatching to fill the main open space & heart inside the half hexies to add unity.

2" is generally enough quilting that it could be washed every week in COLD water on the Gentle cycle & on LOW heat (no fabric softener & no bleach at all -- not even Clorox 2 [you have to tell non-quilters this stuff]) once a week every week for 20 years -- however I haven't studies poly batting so I don't understand exactly how it launders except that it does lose some of its puffiness over time. But as long as it's laundered with a little bit of care, it should last for many years to come.

It wasn't clear whether it's your baby or not. If it is, you're good to go. If not, based on experience -- I sell baby quilts, I'd check with the mother about the polyester batting. I don't even offer poly anymore because every single client (grandparents) would find out that the parents wouldn't allow synthetic bedding near their little one even for tummy time. I'd hate to see your quilt relegated to the closet (it's happened to me). If the mom's okay with it, you're all set. It's a sweet little quilt that I'm sure will be well loved for many years to come!
Thanks for all your suggestions. The cross-hatching for the border is a great idea, I'm working out the details of the flowers in my head--all these suggestions are so helpful!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 PM

gee bree123, you are so creative. I hope carol45 takes you up on your design.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:14 PM

I love the quilt top and if you want to use the polydown batting then I would probably tie the quilt together to give it the look and feel of a comforter. I did this on a memory quilt of my mother's favorite clothes and it has held up for 28 years. I would use 3 strands of embroidery thread in the matching colors of the quilt.