Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions for quilting >

suggestions for quilting

suggestions for quilting

Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Default suggestions for quilting

I'd love to get some suggestions on how to FMQ this. I don't want to overly quilt it--I'd like it to turn out to be a sweet baby quilt looking kind of cozy. There are basically 3 areas that need quilting:
1. the hexies
2. the white background area surrounding all the hexies--I guess you could consider it the border
3. and there are 4 areas in the middle of the quilt, of the background white, that are shaped like 2 attached hexies--don't know how clear they are, but if you look at each "flower" of seven hexies--one in the middle and 6 surrounding--you can see that there are 4 double hexie areas that are not part of those "flowers"
I will appreciate any ideas you can suggest.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails hexi-quilt.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I would go to Geta's site www.cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.ca and look at her hexagon quilts. She uses a feather pattern in them and they look great. You might want to try something similar.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Are you planning on using a particular type of batting? That would be helpful to know for recommendations.
I'll be at my computer later & can give you some ideas but the one thing to keep in mind is that baby quilts tend to be washed as often as once a week (or if parent is very particular about cleanliness, sometimes even more often if Baby is drooling or spitting up on quilt). Quilting stitches generally do not fare so well with that amount of washing unless quilted no farther than 2" apart.

Honestly, after the problems I had with my first quilt (avatar) that was SID and was up to 9" apart in some areas, I've learned my lesson. I typically do stitch lines that are 3/4-1" apart but use Warm & Plush batting and cotton thread to maintain the cuddliness. Everyone who's picked up that W&N quilt with just about the bare minimum quilting for that batting and compares it to W&P with 1" or less spacing has agreed. And with closer stitching they don't get snapped stitches in the wash.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Are you planning on using a particular type of batting? That would be helpful to know for recommendations.
I'll be at my computer later & can give you some ideas but the one thing to keep in mind is that baby quilts tend to be washed as often as once a week (or if parent is very particular about cleanliness, sometimes even more often if Baby is drooling or spitting up on quilt). Quilting stitches generally do not fare so well with that amount of washing unless quilted no farther than 2" apart.

Honestly, after the problems I had with my first quilt (avatar) that was SID and was up to 9" apart in some areas, I've learned my lesson. I typically do stitch lines that are 3/4-1" apart but use Warm & Plush batting and cotton thread to maintain the cuddliness. Everyone who's picked up that W&N quilt with just about the bare minimum quilting for that batting and compares it to W&P with 1" or less spacing has agreed. And with closer stitching they don't get snapped stitches in the wash.
I'm using a polydown batting. I plan to quilt to maintain some puffiness, but I expect the lines will be pretty close--1-2 inches. Do you think that will be OK?
Your avatar is so cute!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM

I did one with flowers in each hexi. Come in from one point with a side of petal, make a little circle then make petals all round.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:21 PM

I would do the edge of the flowers to highlight then flowers in each hexie. Borders could be feathers going round.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:26 PM

Very cute little quilt. How much use will this quilt get? That would dictate how I would quilt it.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
Very cute little quilt. How much use will this quilt get? That would dictate how I would quilt it.
Since it's so white, I don't think this quilt will get a lot of use--it's just something pretty to wrap the baby in for visiting, or something like that.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I quilted a few hexagon quilts and I like an even curve going inside corner to corner. Cute quilt!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:41 AM

Hi Carol,
Here's what I came up with for a possible design that could be done with less quilting (although I really like Peggi's quilt, too!):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554317[/ATTACH]
It looks like your hexies might be 4" so I did one of the heart-flowers with an extra row of smaller petals in it. Draw it out on your quilt & see whether you need some extra quilting in there (if they're 4", you almost certainly will). I put leaves to fill those white spaces -- be sure to leave room between the hearts to allow for those leaves to properly form (you know how I've learned that). Then 2" cross hatching to fill the main open space & heart inside the half hexies to add unity.

2" is generally enough quilting that it could be washed every week in COLD water on the Gentle cycle & on LOW heat (no fabric softener & no bleach at all -- not even Clorox 2 [you have to tell non-quilters this stuff]) once a week every week for 20 years -- however I haven't studies poly batting so I don't understand exactly how it launders except that it does lose some of its puffiness over time. But as long as it's laundered with a little bit of care, it should last for many years to come.

It wasn't clear whether it's your baby or not. If it is, you're good to go. If not, based on experience -- I sell baby quilts, I'd check with the mother about the polyester batting. I don't even offer poly anymore because every single client (grandparents) would find out that the parents wouldn't allow synthetic bedding near their little one even for tummy time. I'd hate to see your quilt relegated to the closet (it's happened to me). If the mom's okay with it, you're all set. It's a sweet little quilt that I'm sure will be well loved for many years to come!
Attached Thumbnails hearts.png